Golf hits the links in South Carolina

By Scott Bernier

In the midst of a rather white winter for the Northeast, the UConn Golf Team traveled down south to begin the second half of their 2012-2013 season, where the only white to be seen on the ground are golf balls nestled within the confines of the fairway.
The Huskies are looking for a strong start, as they will spend the next two days playing in the Wexford Plantation Intercollegiate Tournament held at the Wexford Plantation Golf Club in Hilton Head, South Carolina.
The forecast calls for plenty of sunshine and bright skies for the 36 hole, shotgun start beginning Monday morning at 8:30 am, as the Huskies will compete against host college Francis Marion University, as well as other Big East foes such as the University of Louisville, DePaul University, and fellow in-state adversary University of Hartford.
This begins a very challenging spring schedule that will also have the Huskies participating in six other tournaments spread across the East Coast that will test not only their mettle, but also their ability to play to each course's style and shape.
After the Wexford, the team will make a return trip to South Carolina to play in a new event for UConn, the Charleston Shootout on March 4th and 5th. A packed March continues along with the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular on the 16th and 17th in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida, followed by a three day jaunt in Lake Worth, Florida for the FAU Spring Break Championship March 29th -31st.
April brings the Huskies much closer to home as they look to make a splash in the New England D-1 Championships held at Newport National Country Club in Rhode Island on April 12th and 13th. Speaking with uconnhuskies.com, Coach Dave Pezzino noted, "Newport National provides a great challenge for college players...it combines cerebral play, an imaginative short game, and a disciplined course management plan."
From there the Huskies will compete in the Rutherford Intercollegiate Tournament, their final regular season event, on the Penn State Blue Course in State College, Pennsylvania April 20th and 21st. With such a competitively constructed spring slate, it would be no surprise to see the Huskies place high in the Big East Conference Championship, occurring during the final three days of April at The Watson Course in Reunion, Florida.
Recent history suggests that this young squad is ready, as their fall schedule yielded such favorable results as two top-five finishes and four finishes in the top eight teams in five tournaments overall. UConn freshman Zach Zaback was named Big East Player of the Month for October and will look to lead the team forward along with junior team captain Michael Masso. As the temperatures reach the high 60's and low 70's, the Huskies will aim to shoot similar scores and look to make a name for themselves this spring.