Women's hockey swept by Boston College

By Scott Carroll

The UConn women's hockey team dropped both of their games this weekend to the Boston College Golden Eagles, losing the first half of the doubleheader 6-1 and the second game 4-0.
UConn opened up the weekend Saturday in Chestnut Hill at the home ice of the No. 2 team in the country. The Golden Eagles got off to a strong start and were able to stretch the lead to 3-0 in the first period with two goals by their top overall goal scorer Alex Carpenter, who would finish with four points on the night. The Huskies would attempt to mount a comeback with a goal of their own towards the end of the second period, as freshmen Michela Cava beat the goaltender for her ninth goal of the season. The goal was assisted by senior Kelly Horan and freshman Brittany Berisoff.
Unfortunately, the comeback would not last as the Golden Eagles would score another three goals in the third period, netted by Jackie Young, Emily Field, and Kristina Brown for Boston College. UConn's Sarah Moses would finish the game with 42 saves as the Huskies dropped the opening game 6-1.
The Huskies were back on Sunday, at home in Freitas Ice Forum. UConn came out with intense energy and focus, ready to take on the No. 2 team in the nation. The Huskies were able to get in the way of the Golden Eagles' shots early as they blocked five shots in the first period alone. UConn was also able to successfully kill off two penalties in the first period. The Golden Eagles would eventually squeak a goal by Elaine Chuli in goal, as Haley Skarupa netted the first goal of the game. The goal was assisted by Alex Carpenter and Melissa Bizzari. The first period would close with the Huskies being unable to take advantage of a five-on-three power play.
Alex Carpenter would add a goal of her own in the second period giving, Boston College a 2-0 lead on the Huskies, and halfway through the Golden Eagles would strike again. A one-timer off the stick of Melissa Bizarri extended the lead to 3-0.
The Golden Eagles would finish off the game and the weekend with yet another goal by Carpenter, bringing her weekend goal total to four. The game would end 4-0 with UConn goaltender Elaine Chuli stopping 36 shots.
The two losses bring the Huskies' overall record to 3-25-3 and their conference record to 1-16-1. UConn will have little time to relax after this weekend as they are right back on the ice Tuesday against the Huskies of Northeastern. UConn will take on the Huskies at 7 p.m. at the Freitas Ice Forum in for a rare weekday match-up.