Yavarone has impressive weekend in season opener

By Matt Stypulkoski

It may still be chilly in Storrs, but for the UConn baseball team, spring has already begun.
Friday marked the begining of college baseball's season, and the Huskies traveled to Dunedin, Fla. to kick things off against Purdue.
The Boilermakers jumped out to a 7-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning as they chased UConn ace Anthony Marzi.
Marzi hit three batters and gave up four hits, all with no outs, allowing Purdue to build up a lead.
The Huskies attempted a comeback, scatching across six runs in the middle three innings, but the Boilermakers' gap proved to be insurmountable as they held on for an 11-8 win.
After falling to Purdue, UConn took the quick trip to St. Petersburg for their Saturday matchup against Indiana.
The contest against the Hoosiers saw plenty of excitement early on, as the two teams were tied 3-3 after four innings.
But the run-production dried up after that, and the game turned into a nearly five-hour long marathon that went 15 innings before the Huskies finally won on a walk-off wild pitch.
UConn Coach Jim Penders used five pitchers in the game, and senior Dan Feehan went 1 2/3 innings to pick up the win.
Penders' squad stayed put in St. Petersburg for their game on Sunday and the Purdue Boilermakers met up with them to square off once again.
Senior LJ Mazzilli turned in a stellar 4-for-4 performance with a double and a triple against the Boidlermakers, a solid bounce-back game after going 0-for-6 against Indiana.
Despite his efforts and those of starter Brian Ward, the Huskies fell to Purdue for the second time by a score of 5-3.
Ward gave up only three earned runs over his six innings, but an error by right fielder Jon Testani and Warn's own throwing error cost him two more unearned runs which left him stuck with a loss and dropped UConn to 1-2 on the young season.
Despite the team's struggles over the weekend, sophomore Eric Yavarone and freshman Max McDowell both put together impressive weekends as they hit .357 and .333 respectively.
The Huskies will return to action next weekend when they take part in the UCF Tournament in Orlando. Games against UCF, Troy and Texas await UConn on their return to Florida.