Showcase of talent through culture

By Zarrin Ahmed
On December 2, 2012

• UConn running back Lyle McCombs avoids a Cincinnati tackle in the Huskies’ 34-17 loss at Rentschler Field. JESS CONDON/The Daily Campus

The Indian Student Association hosted a night of food and dance in the Rome Ballroom on Friday night for their Annual Diwali Show, which showcased a variety of talents within the ISA.

Dozens upon dozens of students and family dressed in traditional Indian garb filled the round tables for the show. Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights, is a five-day celebration that typically takes places between October and November. It is one of the most important festivals of the year for Hindus and is celebrated by performing traditional activities together. 

"The food was really good; they kind of surprised me with the authenticity of it. Apparently they had an official chef who cooked all the food," said Bless Gomes, a third-semester physiology and neurobiology major as well as a performer in UConn's ThunderRaas. "The performances were great. People were really excited, you could tell they were. Overall it was very organized."

After a dinner that was served buffet style that included traditional Indian foods, the ISA began the entertainment portion of the night: They performed a skit between acts that depicted the story of two friends having a fun time at the ISA show and included all the members of the ISA. The performances for the night ranged from freshmen students dancing to a mix of Hindi and American songs to alumni that came back to put on a show. Dressed in red shirts, flowing red skirts and jingling anklets, the three alumni danced to slow Indian songs that involved twirling. 

Husky Hungama, a singing group that consists of four male members and four female members, beat boxed and sang Hindi songs for the audience. They added their own Hindi twist to American songs like "Stand By Me" as well. Donned in colorful outfits, ThunderRaas performed to traditional Hindi songs and some English mixes as well. UConn's Kuda Air, a break dancing group, showed off their skills on the dance floor and riled the crowd up with their hyped up movements. 

"I thought it was interesting, it was very beautiful to see all the dances," said Amber Wolfgram, a third-semester human rights major. "I liked Surya, they included traditional dances and new modern dances."

Though the whole ballroom was filled with chairs and tables, there were many more people that came to watch the shows and stood along the edge of the room. The turnout was greater than the ISA expected. Gomes explained how this event took months of preparation. 

"There's a lot that goes into it," Gomes said. "There's obviously the practices and then getting the signs ready. When it all comes together it made a big impact with how the show went. People stepped up and it was really nice to see that."