Column: New Orleans' Davis emerging as one of the league's top big men

By Eddie Leonard

Anthony Davis, the sophomore center of the New Orleans Pelicans, has quickly become one of the most dominating basketball players in the league.
Davis was the No. 1 overall pick out of Kentucky in the 2012 NBA draft after leading the Wildcats to the National Championship. It was clear back then that he was the best player in the country due to his imposing presence on the defensive end, but Davis' offensive game was questionable, leaving many critical of how his game would transfer to the professional level.
Davis, commonly referred to as "the Unibrow," has been a walking double-double this year. He is averaging almost 22 points per game while grabbing 10.5 rpg.
Davis hit the gas pedal in the month of March. There has been a lot of talk about the MVP race between LeBron James and Kevin Durant, but the real MVP of the last month has been Davis. He has averaged 31 points in his last 10 games.
He has found his niche on the offensive end and shows no sign of slowing down. Davis has been putting up the same numbers as James and Durant with no support. In fact, Davis took down the two time reigning champions by himself last week.
One of the most underrated aspects of Davis' game is that he is a big man that can hit free throws. Davis shoots 80 percent from the charity stripe, which is crucial because as Davis continues to expand his offensive game, defenders will be forced to foul him in the post. Since Davis is a threat from the free throw line he is able to cover the easy points when he is fouled, rather than going 0-2 like most centers, which is essentially a turnover.
Lastly, the scariest part of Davis' game is that he is just learning. Davis has not grown into his body; he is still lanky and has much to learn about the game. Once Davis has support along the perimeter he will be able to get his assist numbers up. He only averages 1.5 assists this season because he plays on the Pelicans. Frankly, the only thing average fans know about the Pelicans is that they changed their name from the Hornets last year. But give Davis time, and everyone will know the Pelicans.