Softball rained out, faces Hartford on Wednesday

By Dan Madigan

After UConn softball's Tuesday matchup against the University of Rhode Island was cancelled due to inclement weather, the Huskies (9-29, 2-9 the American) look to start their week off with a home game against in state rival Hartford (7-21 overall, 1-8 in America East).
After a weekend series in Louisville where UConn could only muster two runs in three games against the Cardinals, the Huskies will need a stronger offensive output in order to pick up their first win of the week against the Hawks.
The Hawks have surrendered 169 runs in their 28 games this season and have a team ERA of 7.36. Opponents have hit .328 against them total and .349 against Lexi Wilkerson, who leads the team with three wins.
In order to capitalize on the mediocre Hartford pitching staff and avoid a repeat of their offensive performance against the Louisville, UConn will rely heavily on senior Maddy Schiappa and sophomore Val Sadowl.
Schiappa has recovered from a slow start to return to form and raise her average to .307 with a team leading 35 hits. Sadowl has remained hot from her early season stretch to lead the team with six home runs and a batting average of .356.
Like UConn, Hartford has also struggled at the plate this season. The Hawks are hitting .228 as a team compared to UConn's .238 team average. A bulk of the Hartford offense has come from Chelsey Mooney, who is hitting .292 and leads the team with 21 hits and three home runs.
In their only matchup last season, the Huskies beat the Hawks 3-0 as Katelyn Callahan struck out four and surrendered only two hits to earn her first win of 2013. Lexi Gifford and Jacklyn Dubois scored two of UConn's three runs, while Heather Fyfe and Emily O'Donnell each added one hit.
The Huskies will take on Hartford at 4 p.m. at Burrill Family Field.