'Hearthstone' takes on 'Magic: The Gathering'

By Carles Lopez Penalver

The online collectable card game "Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft," developed by Blizzard Entertainment, has been rapidly gaining popularity in the online game community.
The game was released as an open beta in Jan. 2014 and was released to the public in March of the same year. Blizzard announced 10 million registered players in its press release on April 2.
"Hearthstone" is an easy-to-play online card game, with a gameplay similar to that of "Magic: The Gathering."
There are nine different types of decks or classes which are based off Blizzard's heroes from its most known game: "World of Warcraft." Each class has a different special attack, and individual cards only available to that class. Each player has 30 health points, and "mana" points, which increase per turn. These "mana" points are used to bring different cards to the table.
There are two major different types of cards: minions and spells. Minion cards have attack and health points and will stay on the board until killed, while spells are played once and have different functions. A player wins by attacking the other player's health with its minions and spells until it's zero.
Each game takes around 15 to 20 minutes, separating itself from games like "DOTA" or "League of Legends," games that drag anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes.
"Hearthstone" is available for Windows and Macintosh systems, with iPad, iPhone and Android applications coming soon.