Foster the People release sophmore album

By Brett Steinberg

Almost three years after their debut album, "Torches," Foster the People released their latest album entitled "Supermodel" via iTunes and Spotify on March 14.
The record maintains Foster the People's ability to capture unique and quirky sounds and mold compelling songs around them. In "Supermodel," Foster the People have taken more of an organic approach in many of their songs, using more real instruments than digital instruments, while still including some interesting digital riffs like during the verse of "Pseudologia Fantastica."
They once again succeeded in basically creating a genre of their own within the indie/pop spectrum on their new record. Not only do they create music that juxtaposes acoustic with digital sounds, but they also have a knack on this record for writing upbeat melodies with some profoundly deep and thought-provoking lyrics accompanying them.
The lyrics found on this record create a multidimensional aspect to the music. In songs like, "Coming Of Age" for instance, Mark Foster sings "I'm always moving forward and not looking back / But I tend to leave a trail of debt while I'm moving ahead / And so I'm stepping away," which shows his progression as a person moving away from who he used to be. In "Are You What You Want to Be?" the line "Well I'm afraid of saying too much and ending a martyr, But even more so I'm afraid to face god and say I was a coward," stood out to me as one of the most honest lines on the record. Lyrics like these add relatable introspection to the tracks.
By the end of the record Foster, the lead singer, sings a quiet yet haunting tune entitled "Fire Escape" that ends a contained chaos-like album on a very simple and relaxing tone. The song carries the same theme found throughout the record of criticism towards Capitalist society. The line "Lost Angeles, I've been waiting for you To Pick yourself up and change / The city you've made, this ocean and sand Is founded by liars and self-made men," is not only critical of any society, but the one that he has lived in for years. Foster has re-thought his perspective not only of himself, but of the city that has influenced him as an artist and human being.
Foster the People's new album, "Supermodel," screams of self-reforming and a hope, or at least desire, for society to wake up and become a fairer place to live in. Notable songs on this record are "Are You What You Want to Be?" "Coming of Age," and "Pseudologia Fantastica."
If you are a fan of Coldplay, Radiohead or Passion Pit, you'll most likely dig this record. I give "Supermodel" a rating of an 8/10. The record is cohesive and has a compelling message. Most of the songs on this album hit hard both sonically and lyrically. A solid comeback for the indie music rock stars.
8/10