E.O. Smith holds benefit concert

By Chris Kelly
On November 15, 2012

• The School of Nursing has received a ‘Center of Excellence’ designation from the National League for Nursing.

A benefit concert was held yesterday at E.O. Smith High School in Storrs for the Wounded Warriors Project. Organized by Luke Minuitti, an E.O. Smith student and part-time UConn student, the concert featured performances by the high school's band, orchestra and chorus. All donations went to the Wounded Warriors Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to informing the public and finding aid for severely injured returning veterans.
The concert was Minuitti's senior project. At E.O. Smith, all seniors are required to take on a self-directed project that includes community service work. Teachers have to rate it as successful in order for a senior to graduate.
Regarding the project, Patrick Belanger, a 2nd-semester computer science major and former E.O. Smith student, said, "I think it's fantastic that a lot of E.O. Smith students go out of their way to make their senior projects be something that will benefit the community or the world at some point."
The Wounded Warriors Benefit is appropriately timed, coming four days after Veteran's Day, when UConn held a ceremony at the Remembrance Memorial and the UConn-Storrs Veterans organization painted rocks on campus to publicize Veterans Week.
"Americans are so fortunate to possess the liberties entrusted in us from birth," said Andrew Pett, a 2nd-semester management information systems major. "Oftentimes since we were bestowed with these liberties since birth, we become ignorant of the price. The Wounded Warriors Project acknowledges and aids the veterans who have had to pay that price. I think it's terrific that a local student has taken such measures to help this organization and their mission."
The Wounded Warriors Project is a non-profit organization based out of Jacksonville, Fla. Founded by a wounded veteran, the organization is composed of divisions that include mentoring, government affairs and campus services.