Softball: Schippa's walkoff single lifts UConn past Providence

By Dan Madigan

• UConn’s Lauren Duggan pitches during a game earlier this season at Burrill Family Field. Duggan allowed three runs in seven innings Wednesday for her sixth win on the season.

On a windy day in Storrs, UConn managed to survive five scoreless innings and score four runs on four hits to defeat Providence 4-3 on Maddy Schiappa's walk off infield single.
The Huskies started out red hot, scoring three runs on three hits to answer Providence's one run to start the game. Emily O'Donnell knocked in Schiappa with an RBI double, and Dominique Pinto added another RBI with a single up the middle to score Audrey Grinnell. Lauren Tremblay scored the third run of the inning on a wild pitch from Providence's Kiara Amos.
Providence managed to tack on runs in the third and fourth to tie the game at three. The Friars managed to hold the Huskies scoreless from the second to sixth inning, but UConn made the most of it's last at bat to come away with the win.
Pitcher Taylor Huntly, in relief for Amos, walked Heather Fyfe to start the inning. A sacrifice bunt from Taylor Townsend advanced Fyfe to second with one out. Alyssa Gardea's ground out to second base moved Fyfe to third, and an infield hit from Schiappa brought in Fyfe to give the Huskies their eighth win of the season.
UConn hopes to keep adding to the win column tomorrow against Fairfield. The Stags boast an 8-15 record and recently had a six-game winning streak snapped with a 3-0 loss in Buffalo, N.Y. to Canisius College. During their six game win streak, Fairfield shut out their opponents in four out of the six games and outscored them by a total of 45-6.
The Stags' offensive attack is primarily led by Kristen Filicia, who is hitting a team-leading .403 with seven doubles and two home runs to go along with her .500 on-base percentage. Lauren Liseth provides more offensive help with a .304 average and seven RBIs.
Similar to UConn, pitching has been an issue for the Stags this season, but it has tremendously improved recently due to the work of Rebecca Trott. The senior was recently named MAAC player of the week for winning her first two games of the season and notching a save in three appearances last week. Her tremendous week brought her overall ERA down to a team leading 3.74 and is tied for most appearances with Rae Ball.
The Huskies will take on Fairfield at 3:30 p.m. at Burrill Family Field.