Column: Eastern Conference teams make final push with playoffs on the horizon

By Spencer Mayfield

Now that the college basketball season is over, all eyes are officially on the NBA. With one week left in the season teams are trying their best to get the best seeds possible. However when teams should be hitting their stride, the Pacers seem to be suffering through their toughest stretch of the season.
Indiana has lost seven of their last ten games and is one game back of Miami in the loss column for the number one overall seed. The number one seed could be crucial if these two teams meet in the postseason, which looks highly likely. In each of the three matchups between these two teams during the regular season the home team has been the winner.
The alignment of the three, four and five seeds in the East is also important to how the playoffs will shape up. Toronto and Chicago are tied for the three seed with Brooklyn as an outside contender for the spot. The difference between the three and the four seed this year is a huge advantage. The three seed will most likely play either Washington or Charlotte, which is a big difference than playing Brooklyn, the current five seed.
Brooklyn is playing some of their best basketball at the right time of the year and will be a tough out in the playoffs. Toronto and Chicago both match up much better against the Wizards and would have a much easier time playing them rather than a grind it out series with the Nets.
The eight seed is currently Atlanta and they are the last team in the playoffs that have not clinched their spot yet. Their only pressure is from the New York Knicks who just do not look like they will be able to put it all together to make a run for the eighth seed. Every time it looks like the Knicks might be able to turn their season around they fall back into their old underachieving ways.