Column: Durant could care less about scoring streak with the ultimate prize in sight

By Eddie Leonard

Kevin Durant's unfathomable streak of 41 consecutive games with at least 25 points finally came to an end Tuesday night against the Sacramento Kings. But do not be fooled it was not the Kings who stopped Durant but Durant's own head coach, Scott Brooks. Brooks did not play Durant the entire fourth quarter after the Thunder opened the final quarter on a 16-0 run.
Durant finished the game with 23 points, one bucket short of the coveted 25-point game. However, Durant and Brooks acknowledged that the streak was great but they are glad that it is over. Thunder fans should be happy as well because as great as streaks are, you do not want to be heading into the post season with any goal other than winning a world championship.
I respect Brooks' decision to not play Durant in the fourth quarter after the Thunder had acquired a comfortable lead. Brooks showed that winning is the team's number one interest and I do not think Durant had any problems with that decision. I am sure Durant would trade all of his scoring titles for the opportunity to hoist the Larry O'Brien trophy in June.
The bottom line is Durant will most likely win this year's NBA MVP award due to his phenomenal play both with and without Russell Westbrook on the floor. He averaged nearly 35 points during the 41-games streak, a truly remarkable feat. Durant's streak was something the NBA had not seen in years. In fact the only other players with more consecutive games with 25 points or more are Oscar Robertson's 46 games and of course Wilt Chamberlain's 80 games. You can always expect Wilt the Stilt to be at the top of the list with a ridiculous video game stat.
But again, the streak, the MVP and the scoring titles are clearly not on Durant's mind as he starts to feel the same pressure LeBron James endured all those years in Cleveland.