Flying across the universe

By Jason Bogdan

After all the T-shirts, bandages, plush toys, umbrellas, dog chew toys, stickers, hats, keychains and whatever other shameless merchandise out there, it's easy to forget that "Angry Birds" was, at one point, just a game. A 99 cent app built around a ludicrous premise of birds throwing themselves at fragile green pig forts for their eggs...or whatever.

But all it really took for the franchise to be a part of the pop culture was for the game itself to be fantastic. 

"Angry Birds" is a physics-based test of accuracy done with far more finesse than any of the copycats could ever emulate. The game is also brilliant in its simplicity; any kind of addition would seemingly feel superfluous. And yet, when the time came for a true sequel to be released in the form of "Angry Birds Space," it seems the creators took the dollar signs off their eyes and made "Angry Birds" feel fresh and familiar all over again.

Essentially what the developers at Rovio Mobile did was take the old hat "Angry Birds" and added gravity mechanics found in games like the WiiWare classic "Orbient". For those that (likely) didn't play that game, Orbient had you moving across space based around going against or towards the gravitational pull of the planets around you. "Angry Birds Space," on the other hand, involves throwing all those multicolored fowl at those nefarious hogs that are either past or in the gravitational force.

What makes this new environment work to this game's favor is it brings more variety on how you break down the wooden buildings. Sometimes the green pigs will be on the other side of a microscopic planet, giving two separate directions on where to throw the birds at. And other times, there will be numerous gravity currents going around with routes that will either make the throws go fast or slow. And with the many different birds that can split up, blow up, freeze, etc. the methods to gain the most points are - to plug in a silly pun - astronomical. 

But here's the thing: you don't necessarily need to rush to play this game. The reason the amount of levels initially available shouldn't take too long to complete. Also, the pros able to handle the intense difficulty found in the spinoffs will be disappointed by the lack of challenge in these sixty levels. 

But, considering that this is "Angry Birds" after all, it shouldn't take too long before many levels are added via future updates. For now though, this is a great start. Miraculously, this sequel wasn't just a method for more T-shirt designs.