Baseball takes on Temple after early-week rainout

By Matt Zampini

The UConn baseball team will welcome the Temple Owls to J.O. Christian Field in an American Athletic Conference matchup. Both teams sit in the middle of the conference standings and are looking to make a move up to better their positions.
UConn was scheduled to play the Fairfield Stags on Tuesday but due to rain, the game was cancelled. The Huskies will be back on the diamond for the first time since winning two of three games against the Cincinnati Bearcats last weekend.
The Huskies (17-17, 4-4 American) currently sit in fourth place in the conference standings, not far behind is the Owls (10-18, 5-7 American), who sit in sixth place.
Temple was scheduled to play the University of Delaware on Tuesday but they were also rained out. The Owls have lost three of their last four games heading into the weekend matchup against the Huskies.
Redshirt senior Robert Amaro leads the Owls with a .311 batting average, 28 runs batted in and two home runs. Amaro has been a bright spot for Temple's struggling offense this season. The Owls are amongst the leagues worst in offense, ranking last in batting average (.249), hits (226), runs (126) and home runs (5). Temple will have to find a way to score runs against UConn's very deep pitching staff, which ranks second in the American with a 2.71 ERA, if they want to be successful this weekend.
It was a great week for UConn junior Blake Davey, who was named the American Conference Player of the Week and also the National Player of the Week by collegesportsmadness.com.
Davey has carried the Huskies offense this season with seven home runs and a very impressive slugging percentage of .593.
Since senior captain Tom Verdi has returned to the starting lineup, the Huskies have won three out of four games and have seemed to have rallied behind their captain being back out on the field and in the lineup.
Verdi has been batting leadoff for the Huskies, a place that he is comfortable and used to hitting. He is batting .211 since returning to the starting lineup and has scored five runs. Before returning to the lineup, Verdi was kept out with a wrist injury.
UConn and Temple have split the first six games of the all-time series. Thursday will be the first meeting of the squads since the 1977 NCAA District I Playoffs.
First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.