Flash mob fun on Fairfield way
UConn Empower sets the stage for Underwear Mile for fundraiser
UConn Empowered flash mob appeared spontaneously on Fairfield Way clad in underwear. The initial gathering was about 50 students, and more students from the crowd joined soon after. The flash mob will drive publicity for the Underwear Mile that Empowered hosts this April. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Amar Gyoti School in India. MIKE JOHNSON/The Daily Campus
Students clad in their skivvies abruptly invaded Fairfield Way, dancing to a medley of pop hits. The event began at exactly 1:10 p.m. Wednesday, and ended almost as abruptly as it started at 1:30 p.m.
UConn Empowered, the group that organized the event, planned the underwear flashmob as a teaser for the "Underwear Mile," which UConn Empowered will host on Sunday, April 27 for Spring Weekend.
UConn empowered is attempting to raise awareness and funds through the flash mob and Underwear Mile for the Amar Gyoti school in India. The money will go toward purchasing laptops and meals for children.
They are planning a trip to India, which any student can apply for, in order to implement hygiene instruction programs and public speaking lessons geared toward boosting self confidence among the children.
"The trip team is actually in charge of implementing the changes," Avery Desrosiers, a 6th-semester Allied Health and Sciences, said.
About 50 students from the group performed, and some participants from the crowd joined in as well.
"We didn't know they were going to jump in, but it was really cool that they did when we started inviting them," Desrosiers said.
Lior Trestman, the president of UConn Empowered, said, "I'm just really excited it attracted as much attention as it did!"
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?