Flash mob fun on Fairfield way

UConn Empower sets the stage for Underwear Mile for fundraiser

By Alban Murtishi

• UConn Empowered flash mob appeared spontaneously on Fairfield Way clad in underwear. The initial gathering was about 50 students, and more students from the crowd joined soon after. The flash mob will drive publicity for the Underwear Mile that Empowered hosts this April. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Amar Gyoti School in India. MIKE JOHNSON/The Daily Campus

Students clad in their skivvies abruptly invaded Fairfield Way, dancing to a medley of pop hits. The event began at exactly 1:10 p.m. Wednesday, and ended almost as abruptly as it started at 1:30 p.m.
UConn Empowered, the group that organized the event, planned the underwear flashmob as a teaser for the "Underwear Mile," which UConn Empowered will host on Sunday, April 27 for Spring Weekend.
UConn empowered is attempting to raise awareness and funds through the flash mob and Underwear Mile for the Amar Gyoti school in India. The money will go toward purchasing laptops and meals for children.
They are planning a trip to India, which any student can apply for, in order to implement hygiene instruction programs and public speaking lessons geared toward boosting self confidence among the children.
"The trip team is actually in charge of implementing the changes," Avery Desrosiers, a 6th-semester Allied Health and Sciences, said.
 About 50 students from the group performed, and some participants from the crowd joined in as well.
"We didn't know they were going to jump in, but it was really cool that they did when we started inviting them," Desrosiers said.
 Lior Trestman, the president of UConn Empowered, said, "I'm just really excited it attracted as much attention as it did!"