Column: Sizemore's return

By Erica Brancato

Grady Sizemore's second at-bat for the Boston Red Sox on Opening Day was a home run into right field. Sizemore last home run was July 15, 2011, but his second hit after two years out of baseball was a homer.
After being out of baseball due to several injuries and numerous surgeries on both knees and his back, Sizemore has had a fantastic start. Although he has only played 11 games this season, his skills look promising and he has been an asset to the defending World Series champions thus far. In the 11 games Sizemore has played this season, he has racked up two home runs, four RBIs and a stolen base. Although the season is still very early, to be healthy and playing on this level is a huge plus for the eight-year veteran.
Sizemore recently lifted the Red Sox over the Yankees with a three run home run in the sixth inning to win the game over his former Indians teammate CC Sabathia. The centerfielder's three-run homer lifted the Sox to a 4-2 win over their rivals. Sizemore's performance against the Yankees shows a glimpse of who he was before his injuries.
In his 2005-2008 seasons with the Cleveland Indians, Sizemore was considered to be one of the most dynamic players in baseball. Over that four year span he totaled 107 runs, 325 RBIs and 115 steals. He was also a three time All- Star, a two time Gold Glove award winner and a Silver Slugger award winner in his prime.
According to ESPN, Sizemore, then 23 years old, became the youngest player ever to have more than 90 extra-base hits and more than 20 stolen bases in a season. He led the league in runs scored with 134 and doubles with 53, while playing in all 162 games that 2006 season.
However in 2010 and 2011, his injuries started to show. Unlike most seasons where he was a dominant factor in both hitting and outfield, Sizemore was in and out during the season due to reoccurring injuries. He also had a total of four steals in his last season of baseball, which was extremely low for his averaged 19 steals a season.
With Sizemore looking healthy and eager to play the Red Sox may possibly have made a great decision with such a risky player. If Sizemore is kept healthy, he will continue to help the Red Sox succeed this season.