Lacrosse takes on Cardinals in conference matchup
Coming off a weekend at home where they split two games, the UConn Huskies (8-5) are on the road to face off against the Louisville Cardinals (10-3) in their biggest conference game of the season.
Over the weekend, UConn dropped its match against Georgetown 11-10. The loss to the Hoyas broke its six-game winning streak. On Sunday, the Huskies bounced back strong to defeat the Marquette Golden Eagles 11-10. The weekend's split brought their Big East conference record to 3-1. They travel to Louisville for a match against the best team in the conference.
"This is big challenge for us, one of the biggest games of the year. It's a good test for our team. Louisville is a strong conference team," Coach Katie Woods said.
Coming off a busy weekend, Woods noted that the team was well rested and ready to go.
"This is an easy one to get up for," she said.
Louisville has been on a tear lately, winning its last six games. Its offense has been clicking on all cylinders, averaging 17 goals per game over the stretch. In order to win, UConn will have to find a way to slow down the Cardinals' attack. In their victory over Marquette, starting goaltender Shannon Nee was benched at halftime. Backup Marya Fratoni stepped up in relief, finishing with two saves and only four goals allowed. Woods said the decision as to who will start be made game time, but noted the team has great confidence in both goalies.
Louisville is undefeated in conference play. A Husky victory will bring UConn to first place in the Big East, as they would hold the tiebreaker over Louisville, both would be 4-1. UConn faces Louisville Thursday at the University of Louisville Lacrosse Stadium at 4 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest