Lacrosse takes on Cardinals in conference matchup

By Elan DeCarlo

Coming off a weekend at home where they split two games, the UConn Huskies (8-5) are on the road to face off against the Louisville Cardinals (10-3) in their biggest conference game of the season.
Over the weekend, UConn dropped its match against Georgetown 11-10. The loss to the Hoyas broke its six-game winning streak. On Sunday, the Huskies bounced back strong to defeat the Marquette Golden Eagles 11-10. The weekend's split brought their Big East conference record to 3-1. They travel to Louisville for a match against the best team in the conference.
"This is big challenge for us, one of the biggest games of the year. It's a good test for our team. Louisville is a strong conference team," Coach Katie Woods said.
Coming off a busy weekend, Woods noted that the team was well rested and ready to go.
"This is an easy one to get up for," she said.
Louisville has been on a tear lately, winning its last six games. Its offense has been clicking on all cylinders, averaging 17 goals per game over the stretch. In order to win, UConn will have to find a way to slow down the Cardinals' attack. In their victory over Marquette, starting goaltender Shannon Nee was benched at halftime. Backup Marya Fratoni stepped up in relief, finishing with two saves and only four goals allowed. Woods said the decision as to who will start be made game time, but noted the team has great confidence in both goalies.
Louisville is undefeated in conference play. A Husky victory will bring UConn to first place in the Big East, as they would hold the tiebreaker over Louisville, both would be 4-1. UConn faces Louisville Thursday at the University of Louisville Lacrosse Stadium at 4 p.m