Softball has offensive explosion against Hawks

By Dan Madigan

The UConn softball offense turned in their best performance of the season, in a 12-1 five inning mercy win over instate rival Hartford.
The Huskies had seven hits on the day, including two from Alyson Ambler and a three-run home run from Emily O'Donnell. However, it was Heather Fyfe who stole the show, turning in one of the best offensive performances of the season.
The sophomore outfielder, from Bedford, N.H., went 2-3 with five RBI, four of which came from a long grand slam in the bottom of the third, where the team tacked on five runs to help break the game open for the Huskies.
"It felt good to put something on the board and help out the team and see the whole team come together today," Fyfe said.
After hitting her first collegiate home run, Fyfe singled in her fifth RBI of the day in the bottom of fourth, knocking in Dominique Pinto. Fyfe's five RBI output brought her season total up to seven.
Fyfe attributes the team's phenomenal offensive performance to keeping things simple and just enjoying playing the game that they love.
"Honestly just relaxing and having fun is something that we've been really stressing as a team lately. We need to go back and have fun and remember we're here because we love it. I just took that mindset into the game today along with the rest of the team," Fyfe said.
After a freshman season where she managed only one hit in seven at bats, Fyfe has flourished with more playing time this season, helping the team offensively and defensively. She is third on the team in batting average, and has yet to make an error in left field.
The Huskies certainly followed through with their mindset by putting up a season high 12 runs. The 12 runs were the most UConn has scored in a game since a 11-3 mercy win over Providence last season.
Heading into a crucial three-game home stand versus in conference opponent Temple, Fyfe and the Huskies will need to turn in more offensive performances, like their outburst against the Hawks, to escape from the bottom of the American Athletic Conference standings and improve their seeding in the AAC Tournament.