Softball beats Hartford in blowout fashion
ALEX SFERRAZZA/The Daily Campus. Students occupied trees in the riots after the men’s championship win. Branches were felled off of m
The UConn softball team defeated the Hartford Hawks 12-1 yesterday in a non-league matchup.
The Huskies offensive explosion was led by sophomore left fielder Heather Fyfe, who went two for three on the day with a grand slam and five RBIs.
Freshman pitcher Kayla Doty set the tone for the Huskies on the mound. Doty kept the Hawks batters off-balance all day-only allowing two hits.
"I think she [Doty] had a good outing," Coach Karen Mullins said as she notched the win. "We were pleased that she was ahead in counts and did a nice job pitching to hitters."
The UConn offense got going in the bottom of the second inning when Townsend singled and Fyfe reached on an error. Two batters later, Emily O'Donnell hit a three-run home run, scoring both Taylor Townsend and Fyfe.
The Hartford offense responded in the top of the third inning with a solo homerun from Marisa Ferguson. That would be it for the Hawks offense as they were held hitless the rest of the ballgame.
The Huskies loaded the bases in the top of the fourth inning for Alyssa Gardea, in hopes of breaking the game open. Hartford pitcher Lexi Wilkerson walked Gardea, and Alyson Ambler scored. The bases remained loaded for Fyfe, who launched a grand slam to give UConn a seven run lead.
UConn added four more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, when Dominique Pinto hit a three-run triple, and Fyfe followed that with an RBI single that scored Pinto.
Coach Mullins was pleased with the way the offense was able to explode against the Hartford pitching.
"It was nice to see us put some runs on the board," Mullins said. "Emily got all of a pitch and Heather hit a big grand slam so it was really nice to see us put some runs on the board, it's exciting."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?