Car smash is a hit
Students smash vehicles in the center of Fairfield way in front of the Student Union. The event was hosted by Zeta Beta Tau, who holds the event annually. This years Car Smash fund raiser was sponsored by Vineyard Vines. Marqaux Ancel/The Daily Campus
Students lined up for the opportunity to take sledgehammers to crumpled metal at Zeta Beta Tau's annual Car Smash fundraiser, held Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Fairfield Way.
A small donation gave participants the opportunity to take a few hits at a bright blue 2000 Dodge Stratus, which was already in pretty bad shape at the start of the fundraiser. $1 bought participants one hit; $2 bought 3 hits, and $5 bought participants a full two minutes to hit the car.
"We bought the car from T+B Motors for next to nothing," said Parker Klorczyk, a member of ZBT and younger brother of the late ZBT alumnus whose memory the event seeks to honor.
The proceeds from the fundraiser, which has become a popular source of stress relief for many students, go to the Christian Klorczyk Scholarship Foundation. Klorzyc is a ZBT alumnus who passed away in 2011; ZBT's inspiration for the fundraiser came from their late brother's passion for cars.
"He loved cars," said Brendan Pozsgai, a 6th-semester management information systems major and ZBT member. "So we do this in his memory."
The Scholarship Foundation provides two scholarships: one to a student enrolled in the UConn School of Business, and another to a student at Waterford High School, Klorzyc's alma mater.
The fundraiser, set up outside the Student Union, "attracts a lot of attention," Pozsgai said.
Pozsgai went on to say that the fundraiser has been successful in "raising awareness and getting our name out there as an organization."
This year's fundraiser was sponsored by Vineyard Vines.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer