Today, EcoHusky will be hosting a clothing swap in the Student Union north lobby in order to recycle

By Brian Passeri

Today, EcoHusky will be hosting a clothing swap in the Student Union north lobby in order to recycle old and unused clothing in an environmentally responsible way.
From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., EcoHusky members will be available to take articles of clothing from anyone looking to clean out their wardrobes for spring. Students will then be able to look through previously donated clothing and take as many pieces as they donated to the swap, or donate $2 for a piece of clothing. Anything leftover at the end of the day will then be donated to Planet Aid, a non profit organization that collects and recycles used clothing and shoes to protect the environment and to promote sustainable development in impoverished communities around the world. There are several donation bins for Planet Aid in the town of Mansfield.
The guidelines of the swap are as follows. Only articles of clothing will be accepted; underwear, footwear and accessories will not. Any and all sizes are welcome, but clothes must be in good, wearable condition. Items with tears, rips, stains, etc., will not be accepted.
EcoHusky secretary Kelly Morrissey explained the mission of the swap.
"As consumers, we don't typically consider the environmental impacts of producing and shipping the clothing we purchase, or the waste aspect when we get rid of it later. Getting clothes secondhand and donating rather than throwing away is a more environmentally responsible way to go about it. For EcoHusky, this event is about promoting sustainability in aspects of our lives we wouldn't normally think of as being 'green' or not," Morrissey said.
EcoHusky meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Austin room 313. To find out about upcoming events, email ecohusky@gmail.com.