Local band The Oddbodies discusses their career goals

By Brian Richman

Deep in a Norwalk apartment, amongst the smell of put-out cigarettes and the indie-punk sounds of the Palma Violets, I find Jack Kelly, Joe Burns and Chris Parisi who make up the mellow punk trio called The Oddbodies.
DC-So, the name?
JK- I guess it was my idea. Basically, there's this thing in my family where we name all of our pets from characters in "It's a Wonderful Life," which is my favorite movie, and it's really important to my family. There's this one character named Clarence Oddbody, who's an angel and before I landed on the name I thought, 'All our pets are named after characters from 'It's a Wonderful Life,' why shouldn't my band be too?' so I went through a bunch of names from the movie and I saw Oddbody and I thought that was cool he's a weird angel and we're all pretty weird, I wouldn't call us angels, but we're certainly weird.
JB- That's where it came from?
JK- Yup, "It's a Wonderful Life," just made it into a punk thing. It sounds really punk.
JB- I didn't know Clarence had a last name.
JK- Yup, Clarence Oddbody, Angel First Class.
JB- Wow, I never noticed that.
DC- Why do you guys create music?
JK- Ultimately I think it comes down to we're not really great at anything else.
JB- Hey man speak for yourself, I walk really well.
JK- We're these super average stupid dudes that don't really know how to do a whole lot, except for music and so I think we'd be doing ourselves a disservice by not doing it.
JB- We like art. I think it's our version of art.
CP- It's just about having a good time, like we always have fun when we play.
JB- I've never disliked playing music.
JK- But you've disliked playing bass ironically.
JB- I dislike the stigma of the bass player, I've come to appreciate the bass more in the last year or so.
DC- Which would you guys say was your best show? What made it your best?
JK- My vote is going to go to the first UConn show. I thought that was the best because we were finally playing in the element where we've always wanted to play and where our music fits and people reacted to it really well.
JB- I really enjoy playing at a party because when you go to all of these weird teen centers or bars no one is partying there. No one is drinking or enjoying themselves really because it's castrated fun. When you put a bunch of kids in a basement with no one to tell them what to do they are more likely to mingle and dance and look foolish, but that's kind of what it's about.
DC- You guys have quite a bit of history for such a young band. With Joe returning do you feel your relationships, be it musically or personally, are now stronger because of that separation?
JK- I would say so, I think it's always really been us three even since the days of our old singer, Vincent, it's always been us.
JB- Well I always hung out with you guys, I just didn't like Vincent.
JK- I know, but he's a great kid
JB- I like him now, I did not like him.
JK- We just didn't fit musically and that's fine, not everybody does, but the fact that you came back and now we're doing our own thing, we've crafted songs together. We all have similar style and inspirations and stuff and that's hard to find, people that like the same things that you do while being different at the same time. Like Chris here has his 60s psychedelic weirdness, 90s alt-rock kid over here (JB), and then, I don't know, I'm pretty alt-rock too.
JB- The 90s were dope.
JK- Oasis and Nirvana for me. And Hendrix. As clichéd as they are, but there's a reason they're clichéd. But we've gotten a butt ton better then, like 2010 for example.
JB- We played really well at the last show. I could hear everything.
JK- Except for the fact that you gave me a bass with the A string tuned down half a step. You neglected to tell me that, Joe Burns. And as soon as I started playing it I thought 'this is so wrong' but I had no idea what was wrong with it.
JB- When I put my bass down the machine head must have gotten bumped.
JK- Yea, when you were going for one of the ten cigarettes you grabbed during the set. That was so annoying; you know how hard it was to keep you playing your instrument?
JB- I was just really craving a cigarette. I always came in at the right time man.
JK- Yes you did.
Alright last question; what do you guys want to accomplish?
JK- I'd like to conquer the world.
JB- I'd be down for that. Like own everything? Hold massive global shows.
JK- Well we don't have to invade the globe, just play all around it. Just being able to play our music around the world and support ourselves just by doing that, that's what I want to do.
JB- No, I want everything. I want the world.