How to rock that camo

By Jamil Larkins
On October 21, 2011

Military inspired styles have become a staple in today's fashion landscape. From metropolitan city blocks to small rural towns, there are glimpses of style stemming from our armed forces all over the country. Whether it be aviator glasses, combat boots, cargo pants or field jackets, military uniform has become a backbone of streetwear and culture. Above all, there is one facet of uniform that reigns supreme over all it's peers: camouflage print. No matter what season it is, you can effectively pull off a fantastic camo style. Wearing any of the many patterns and colors of camo print is hit-or-miss. Contrary to popular belief, those camo shorts do not match with anything you want to wear. This simple guide will help you avoid looking like a seasoned big game hunter, and give you a heads up on rocking a military-inspired camo look this fall and winter in Storrs.

Less is more

Patterns can be easily and unknowingly overdone. If camouflage is overdone, you will most likely get mistaken for a serviceman. Limit yourself to only one article of clothing per outfit that has a camo print. Whether it be a field jacket, a pair of cargo pants or simply a hat, only pick one! It's not Halloween, UConn is not a guerilla warfare zone, and there is no reason you should be in full camouflage attire.

Color matching

Though very versatile, camouflage does have it's limitations on paired color combinations. If you want to play it safe, any solid print of a color featured in your specific pattern will suffice. Whether that be a shade of olive, khaki, or brown, choose whichever is less prevalent in the camo. As for a complementary color? Go with a darker shade of red, especially regarding your shoe choice. Other colors that get a pass are dark navy blues, shades of grey and of course black.

Boots

Unless you're rapper DMX, toss the Timberland boots away. We're all in college now, it's 2011, so take a more grown-up approach to fall and winter boot choices. Combat boots are always a solid unisex option. Tuck your pants into them, but keep the boots loosely laced. Shades of brown are always a safe bet when matching footwear with military colors. This season I would recommend a Brogue style boot (wing-tipped) or a Desert boot (go with Clarks), both hot street styles. People will definitely notice you. Don't be afraid to throw a little cuff on your pants to show off your footwear! One word: Oxblood.

Not a fan of camo?

Earth-tones are the background of military and camouflage. Without the actual camo pattern, you can use these colors to create a look of your own. A solid green field jacket can go well with a variety of options for both men and women. Layer that look with any pair of buttondown shirt and chinos from the colors listed above and you'll be set.