Six years later 'Attack of the Show' is canceled

By Alex Sferrazza
On November 4, 2012

With the recent news that tech show "Attack of the Show" will be cancelled after 2012 as part of the G4 channel's rebranding effort, I decided to use this week's "Stay Tuned" to reflect on a show that defined a generation of young tech and gaming nerds.

It was a dark and stormy night. The date? November 17, 2006; the launch date of the Playstation 3 gaming console. It was the very first time that I had stumbled upon the gaming and tech metropolis known as "G4 TV." Anticipating the launch of the Wii gaming console two days later, I stumbled upon the G4 channel, at that hour of the evening airing one of its flagship programs: "Attack of the Show," a show that covered all the news "you care about."

It was here that I was first introduced to the hosts of the program at the time, Kevin Pereria and Olivia Munn. That first program was quite memorable for setting the tone of the program, which I would go on to be a dedicated fan of for the next five years. The highlight comedy segment of the night was the on-air unboxing of a brand new Playstation 3 console, which immediately upon removal was licked by Olivia Munn in the "ceremonial tongue bathing of the console." Unsure of what I had just witnessed, I could be sure of one thing: this show was made for nerds like me by nerds like me.

Over the next four years, "AOTS" would provide me some of the most comical and memorable moments of my adolescent youth. Starting each and every program with the top five viral videos on the web and ending each with a hilarious "Epic Fail" video, the show regularly provided laughs. Comedy segments including outlandish characters such as "Drunkel Ted" and Kevin's "Hype Machine," one-off jokes such as the time Kevin and Olivia jumped into a large pie dressed as French maids, and "Breaking Moments in De-evolution," showcasing the internet's greatest idiots on video, all brightened any day. "The Feed" kept me up to date on important daily news stories involving tech, gaming, and movies, while "The Loop" provided highly insightful interviews with industry experts on issues such as the infamous iPhone leak and the Playstation 3 jailbreaking lawsuit. The show's often colorful correspondents who would host segments and occasionally the show itself were always welcomed, especially favorites like Allison Haislip and Chris Hardwick.

In 2010, it came to pass that Munn would leave the program and be replaced by Candace Bailey, former host of Nickeloden's "U-Pick Live." Despite the change, the same show went on albeit with a new set. It wasn't until Kevin Periera left the program in May that I stopped watching the show. With his departure, it became increasingly painful to watch a series of female hosts who knew little to nothing about the tech topics they were reading to the audience through a teleprompter. 

Nonetheless, the news of "AOTS's" cancellation is disheartening to anyone who was at one time a regular viewer of the program. Here's to the memories of adolescence spent watching G4 and "Attack of the Show."