UConn group campaigns for safe partying on and off campus

By Loumarie Rodriguez

A campaign titled "Rage on the Same Page: A Safer Way to a Better Weekend" is currently being held in order to promote responsible drinking on campus and quality decision-making when students are out partying.

The campaign is not only aimed toward UConn students, but also the Mansfield area according to their website www.rageonthesamepage.org. The campaign's mission is to keep an ongoing partnership with Mansfield residents, students and UConn in general to improve the quality of life of the community. Rage on the Same Page received a grant of $22,000 from the state in order to help provide training for cops and landlords on how to handle situations, as well as other necessities to enhance the campaign.

The goals of the campaign are to reduce problems that are related to students drinking at parties and instead focus on making a safer party environment. They also hope to increase enforcement of alcohol-related laws and policies. They also have a list of alternatives that can help with responsible partying and reduce the risk factors that contribute to poor decision making.

"This campaign is to help students have responsible parties and we provide information with how to provide for a safe party environment," said Jim Hintz, director of Off Campus Student Services and co-chair of the Mansfield community campus partnership.

The campaign first piloted at Celeron apartments, since it's the largest single complex. With cooperation from management, their goal is to make the property safer and improve its image. Other local apartment complexes will be looked into to spread the campaign.

The group received the grant last February, and emailed surveys and met with student focus groups in order to figure out how best to campaign. The campaign officially launched this semester. Members have already gone door to door informing off-campus residents of the campaign, provided freebies and hosted an information booth at the Student Union. According to Hintz, currently the group is trying to figure what works and what doesn't. Hintz also said they want to make sure that there is a balance, and emphasized that this campaign is not a crackdown.

"We feel that the overall campaign is being well received by students and that they seem to take it to heart," Hintz said. "Students are able to host parties that don't negatively impact the community."

For more information on the campaign there is a Facebook group (Rage on the Same Page: Operation Party Smart) and students can follow them on Twitter (@UConn_OPS) or look at their website at www.rageonthesamepage.com.