Huskies rout USF, face Notre Dame tonight

By Tyler Morrissey

• UConn senior Kelly Faris works around a Pittsburgh player in a recent game at the XL Center in Hartford. The Huskies will face Notre Dame tonight in South Bend. JON KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

The No. 3 UConn women's basketball team defeated South Florida 85-51 on Saturday before tonight's rematch with No. 2 Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.
Sophomore forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis finished the game with a career-high 32 points for the Huskies. She also tallied six rebounds and shot 6-12 from behind the arc. In addition to Mosqueda-Lewis's strong performance, UConn's Stefanie Dolson also put up some impressive stats. Dolson recorded her second double-double of the season, scoring 25 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
Dolson also went a perfect 4-4 from the free throw line, which has been an area of the court where the 6'5" center has struggled this season.
Freshman forward Morgan Tuck earned her first start of her career for the Huskies on Saturday, in place of guard Caroline Doty. Doty did see time off the bench, but was only on the floor for 16 minutes in UConn's rout of the Bulls.
Tonight UConn will have the large task of beating Notre Dame in their building as the Huskies go for their 17th Big East regular season title. Two months ago, Notre Dame came into Gampel Pavilion and defeated UConn 73-72. In that game Mosqueda-Lewis and Dolson each scored 17 points apiece, but it was not enough to defeat the Irish.
Notre Dame is coming off a dominant 92-57 victory over the Providence Friars in a game where senior Skylar Diggins scored 28 points. Diggins leads the Irish this season in points, as the 5'9" guard averages 16.9 points a game. Notre Dame's other powerful weapon on offense is junior guard Kayla McBride. McBride was recently added to the 2013 Naismith Trophy midseason watch list, as was Diggins.
A victory over the Irish tonight would secure the top seed in the Big East tournament for UConn, as the Huskies hold a tiebreaking victory over Marquette. UConn has a 29-9 stranglehold in the all-time series with the Irish but Notre Dame has taken five of the past six meeting with UConn, including a victory over the Huskies in last year's Final Four.
Tip-off between the Notre Dame and UConn is scheduled for 7 p.m. The game can be seen live on ESPN 2 or heard on WTIC 1080 AM.