UConn women's basketball to honor seniors

By Tyler Morrissey

For the seniors on the UConn women's basketball team, this Saturday when Seton Hall comes to town will be the last time they take the court at Gampel Pavilion as the home team.
UConn's senior class is made up of three players, including one of this year's top scorers, guard Kelly Faris. Heading into Saturday's game, Faris is fourth on the team in total points scored with 272 on the season. She averages 10.5 points and 5.2 rebounds a game for the Huskies.
UConn head coach Geno Auriemma knew that Faris was going to be a special player the moment he saw her play at Heritage Christian High School in Indianapolis. In high school, Faris led her team to four straight titles, which was one of the things that impressed Auriemma the most.
"Any time I see a 5'10 or 5'11 kid playing center for their team and they win a state championship, I go you know what, she's going to be pretty good," said Auriemma.
In addition to the exceptional guard play from Faris, the Huskies will also see the departure of guard Caroline Doty after this season. Doty has experienced many ups and downs during her time as a Husky, which included a torn left ACL in 2009. This season, Doty has demonstrated strong leadership skills both on and off the court and it will be something that her teammates will miss about 5'10" guard.
"It takes a special person to deal with what she has to deal with and I can't even imagine going what she went through," said Faris. "Having the issue multiple times and having to sit out and watch and be a coach, that's hard. She's taken on that leadership role really well and she's been put in tough position but she's really grasped it and just went with it."
UConn's third senior is center/forward Heather Buck. Buck has also faced difficulties during her career in a Husky uniform. During her freshman year she was redshirted after missing the first five games with mononucleosis. In 2011 Buck injured her hand in a tough game against Baylor which was one of the many challenges she had to overcome to contribute to this team. Despite these challenges, Buck has never lost motivation and has been there for her teammates when they needed her, especially Doty, since the two of them have been at UConn the longest of anyone else on the team.
"She's unbelievable for what she went through between having mono her freshman year and having to redshirt," said Doty. "Being able to have her by my side for all five years has been great."
Once the senior night festivities are wrapped up the Huskies will have the task of defeating a Seton Hall team that has posted a 9-17 overall record on the season. The Pirates are coming off a 72-56 victory over Providence, in a game where senior guard Brittany Morris scored a career-high 27 points.
The victory over Providence was just Seton Hall's fourth victory in the Big East conference, where the Pirates have struggled mightily this year. Seton Hall lost four straight games in conference play before losing five straight games in the Big East from Jan. 30 to Feb 16.
Tip-off for senior day between UConn and Seton Hall is at Gampel Pavilion at 4 p.m. The game will be televised live on SNY.