Toss Up: Should Gregg Williams be allowed to return to NFL?

Yes!

By David Marinstein

Recently, the NFL penalized the New Orleans Saints as a result of information coming out regarding players being bribed to injure their opponents. Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was given the harshest punishment of all. He was the main "culprit" in this bounty scandal and commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Williams indefinitely. Although placing a "bounty" on opponents is not a classy or appropriate act in any sport, football is one of the most violent sports. It can be assumed that many things are said and done in locker rooms that go beyond the game itself in order to pump players up. It is true that Gregg Williams messed up and gave the NFL a negative image, but he should be given another chance.

Roger Goodell is doing his best to protect his legacy and the league's image. He doesn't want people thinking coaches are vicious people, only going out to injure opposing players. Although I understand his intentions, I believe the punishment given to Gregg Williams is too extreme. Suspending someone indefinitely is deserved if that person has committed something unforgivable. What Williams did was wrong, but not unforgivable. It was his way of getting his players to perform at a higher level of intensity than before, regardless of whether it was right or wrong. It is my belief that there are ways for the NFL to monitor teams so actions such as this do not occur again.

It's not easy to come to positive terms with a coach who was deliberately paying players for injuring opponents. It is his job to restore his image by apologizing to the league, the New Orleans Saints organization and all football fans. Once he does this, he will be that much closer to deserving another chance at being an NFL coach. As a long time coach, Williams must be decent at what he does because he's lasted in the league so long. He does not have to use bribery and violence to encourage his players. It's up to him to change his image.

Gregg Williams has coached in the NFL for over 20 years. Who knows how long and for how many different teams he incorporated these "bounties" for? But, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed in the league ever again. In my opinion, he deserves a one-season suspension just like Saints head coach Sean Payton was granted. After the suspension is over, he should be placed on a type of probation by the league where he'd be monitored over the course of a season in efforts to prevent an incident like this from occurring again.