Red-hot Huskies head to Providence to face Brown

By Darryl Blain

• Anthony Marzi throws a pitch in UConn’s 7-1 win over Seton Hall on April 1. ROB SARGENT/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team is headed to Providence, R.I. today to try to continue their hot streak against the Brown Bears in Murray Stadium. The Huskies have won 13 of their last 15, while boasting a share of the top spot in the Big East and a four-game winning streak.

The Bears are struggling through the season so far with a record of 5-21 overall, but that hasn't made UConn coach Jim Penders rest easily going into today's game.

"They always play us tough and they play a really good national schedule so I don't really care what their record says," Penders said. "They're not going to be in wow of us going into their place."

Pat Butler will be on the mound for the Huskies to start the game. Butler may be 2-3 on the season, but he has seen most of his success in middle-of-the-week starts like this one and maintains a respectable ERA of 4.67 on the season. Butler is also 2-1 in his last three appearances.

UConn is coming off a win Monday against Quinnipiac by a score of 12-7, but it was an ugly win by Penders' standards. The coach sent a very stern message to his team afterwards, saying he didn't want to see that lack of effort again.

"Hopefully we can get on the board first [against Brown] and play a lot better than we did today, because if we play like we did today we're not going to win," said Penders in an interview after the game on Monday.

The beginning of the order for the Huskies has been especially productive recently. In the last two games alone (at Quinnipiac and at Pittsburgh) the front four of Billy Ferriter, Tim Martin, LJ Mazzilli and Ryan Fuller have combined for 8 RBI off 12 hits, which accounts for a little over half the team's production. A lot of the other offensive merit goes to freshmen Jon Testani, who drove in three against Quinnipiac and scored once against Pittsburgh. Mazzilli also leads the team in both HRs (eight) and average (.360).

The game tomorrow is set to start at 3:15 p.m., and will be the last game before UConn returns to Big East play against St. John's for a 3-game series.