Huskies defeat in-state foe Hartford
UConn senior Kim Silva bats against Providence during a UConn softball game played on the campus of the University of Connecticut. TROY CALDEIRA/The Daily Campus
Marissa Guches drove in two runs and Alyson Ambler pitched three scoreless innings in relief as the UConn softball team defeated in-state rival Hartford 3-0 on the road Thursday.
The Huskies move to 17-16 on the season and are now on a two-game winning streak.
UConn scored in the first inning and never looked back. Guches drove in shortstop Emily O'Donnell on a fielder's choice. In the third inning, Guches hit her fourth home run of the season, moving into a tie with Audrey Grinnell for the team lead.
Guches' two RBIs bring her to 27 for the season, which leads the team
The final run of the game came in the top of the fourth inning, on a double by second baseman Brittany Duclos that scored catcher Jacklyn Dubois.
Katelyn Callahan got her first win of the season for the Huskies, moving to 1-1. The junior pitched four scoreless innings, striking out four Hawks and allowing only two hits. Accuracy was a struggle at times, however, as she walked one batter but hit two.
Ambler came in for the final three innings to record her second save of the season. She did not allow a run while allowing two hits and striking out one batter. Ambler also hit one Hartford batter.
Coach Karen Mullins made the decision to bring in three players off the bench in the seventh inning, including freshman Heather Fyfe, who got her first hit of the season, senior Jessica McDermott and freshman Alyssa Gardea.
Next up for the Huskies is a three-game series with No. 11 Louisville. The Cardinals (34-6, 7-1) are in a tie for third place in the conference with Notre Dame, sitting behind South Florida and DePaul, who share first place with a 10-1 record.
The two teams will open with a doubleheader on Saturday and will wrap the series up on Sunday afternoon.
The Huskies do not play at home again until April 18 against Bryant.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit