Women's hockey: UConn takes on Friars at home this weekend
After two games away from home, the UConn women's hockey team (3-6-1) returns to the Freitas Ice Forum on Sunday for a Hockey East matchup against the Providence Friars (4-6-0).
The Huskies and Friars come into the matchup on Sunday dead last in the standings. Providence has posted a 1-3 record in the conference while UConn is 0-2-1. UConn comes into its fourth conference matchup of the year hoping to get on track in the win column.
Last season, the matchup between these two teams proved to be all Friars. Providence was victorious in all three matchups against UConn, outscoring the Huskies 14-6.
UConn returns to the ice Sunday after playing just three days earlier against Boston University. The Huskies were defeated 6-2 but freshman Susan Cavanagh was able to score her first collegiate goal in the second period. Rachel Farrel also scored for the Huskies while goaltender Sarah Moses stopped 36 shots in net.
Providence has an even shorter lay-off in between their last game and Sunday's contest. The Friars traveled to New Hampshire on Thursday to take on the Wildcats. Before their matchup with UNH, the Friars dropped three straight games, losing to Boston College twice and Northeastern.
Two players to watch are the point leaders for each team. Sarah MacDonnell leads the Huskies with nine points, tallying three goals and six assists. Corinne Buie leads the Friars with 12 points, recording five goals and seven assists. Both have been great for their respective teams so far and will need to make an impact on Sunday's game in order to earn a victory in what is positioned to be a great matchup of two Hockey East teams eager for the win.
This is the first matchup out of three for these two teams this season during Hockey East play.
The puck is scheduled to drop at 2 p.m. on Sunday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- ¿Pensando en la jubilación y el Seguro...
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...