New and popular organizations table at Fair

By Alex Sferrazza
On January 30, 2013

• Students table for their organization and peruse the displays at Wednesday’s Spring Involvement Fair at the Student Union. ZARRIN AHMED/The Daily Campus

Yesterday, UConn once again held its biannual Involvement Fair. The event was held in the Student Union, returning to the building after the Fall 2012 fair was held in the Field House. There were quite a few colorful characters to be found amid the usual flock of student clubs and fraternities/sororities.

One of the most popular booths at the fair was for the Epic Meal Time Club that was founded last semester. John Sinnorai, a 4th-semester political science major, is the event coordinator of the Epic Meal Time Club. Inspired by the YouTube channel of the same name, John's pitch for the club is "if you like meat, if you like bacon, you'll love our club." Although some may consider the dishes prepared by the club "excessive," Sinnorai pointed out that "out of all the student organizations on campus we are the only culinary club."

All is well at the UConn Outing Club. The organization holds the distinction of being the oldest consistently run student organization at the university. The Outing Club was founded in 1855, four years before the UConn Student Government. Jonathan Le May, an 8th-semester accounting major, said, "We make your outdoor dreams become reality. Our outdoor activities include caving, climbing, hiking, backpacking, swimming, bridge jumping - pretty much anything you can think of."

Although that line-up sounds as if this club is designed for the experienced outdoorsman, Le May said, "If you're a beginner and just want to try things out, we can work with that. We'll teach things on the weekends, and if you're advanced and want to go on a specific caving trip for a week we'll do that, too."

One of the more humorous displays was presented courtesy of the UConn Wrestling Club, aka "The Mustachioed Wrestlers." The colorful group was once again sporting their eye-catching fake mustaches to attract passersby to the booth. Wrestling Club member Joey Vattinelli, a 2nd-semester ACES major, explained the genesis of the club's famous faux facial hair to us. "Back when the club was first founded, they made a promotional video for the team. In the video a freshman has to earn his mustache (i.e. his "wings") from a senior in order to become a full member of the team. It's a tradition that stuck."

One of the new up-and-coming organizations making an appearance at the fair was the Astronomy Association. Club CFO Remi Loeser, a 6th-semester mathematics and computer science major hopes the fledgling club will allow those interested in stargazing to indulge their astronomical passions themselves without having to be science or math majors.

"We have really powerful telescopes which allows us to see some very interesting phenomena, including storm patterns on the planet Jupiter and the surface of the sun, with the help of our solar filter telescope," Loeser said.