BOT approves funds for major projects

Money to be used to buy land for expansion, make repairs to South Campus

By Katherine Tibedo
On January 30, 2013

• Dr. Nancy Bull, Vice Provost and Chief Information Officer on the Board of Trustees, speaks at Wednesday’s meeting, where the Board approved two major projects. JON KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

The university will spend $3.1 million on repairs, an investigation into water infiltration and masonry and exterior envelope damage for the South Campus Building Complex this semester.

The Board of Trustees approved the money for the project at the Jan. 30 meeting, which includes legal council to recover damages incurred from the shoddy work of the original builder.

An investigation conducted by the architectural firm, Wiss, Janney Elster, revealed that many of the leaks are due to improper weatherproofing, deteriorated masonry and deteriorating roofing and caulking. It was also discovered that concrete capstones throughout the complex had been incorrectly secured when the complex was built, creating a potential and significant safety hazard.

Following the investigation and repairs of the first phase, additional costs for completing the work will be presented to the board. The first construction phase is expected to take six to eight weeks.

In addition to the $3.1 million approved for the South Campus Building Complex project, the Board approved $3.8 million for the purchase of land adjacent to the campus. The lot includes 17 King Hill Road, 29 Kill Hill Road, 29A King Hill Road and Lot 5 at the corner of North Eagleville and Huntington Lodge Roads.

"[This purchase] is very important to use for future things we want to do," said chairman Lawrence D. McHugh.

The purchase comes as the university is rapidly running out of large land parcels to purchase near the Storrs expanding campus. In addition, the property contains the area formally known as X Lot, which has approximately 300 parking spaces and Farmer Brown's lot with 360 parking spaces. The university used X Lot until its lease ran out in August 2010.

In the long run, the land purchase will be used to continue to develop the university. However, for the time being, it will be used to increase the available parking. The additional 660 permits are expected to earn the university $75,000 to $125,000 for 2014.

The property is currently owned by a relation of People's Bank. Attempts to come to a sales agreement with previous owners were unsuccessful.