African American Cultural Center takes Lip Sync

By Zarrin Ahmed
On October 12, 2012

• The African American Cultural Center performed among many other UConn student groups in Gampel to compete for the Lip Sync title as part of Homecoming week. Rachel Weiss

The African American Cultural Center took Homecoming 2012 by storm, winning the Alma Mater Sing, the Homecoming King's crown, and finally placing in first for overall performance at Lip Sync amongst other cultural centers on Thursday night.
Alongside them, Global House and the brothers and sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Ki, Zeta Pi, Delta Gamma and Kappa Sigma all won first place for overall performance in Homecoming Events for non-fee funded and Greek organizations.
Students began forming lines outside of Gampel Pavilion hours before Lipsync began at 8 p.m. Sitting in groups, hundreds wore shirts supporting their houses, communities and cultural centers. While all of the participants of Lip Sync gathered on the floor of Gampel, the DJ played rap and hip hop songs that the audience danced along to. Before the UConn Dance Team kicked off the night, the SUBOG Homecoming Committee made a few announcements about First Night and the upcoming Homecoming football game against Temple.
Wearing all black with red heels, red lipstick and red gloves, the Dance Team hyped up the crowd by getting them to clap along to music while emcee Justis Lopez made a grand entrance dancing to "Gangnam Style." Lopez reminded the crowd that UCTV was taping Lipsync, which will air on Monday at 4 p.m. and Wednesday at 2 p.m.
After announcing and introducing the Royal Court of 2012, Lopez described how the groups would be judged in three categories: routine, professionalism and lip syncing. The first competitors were the houses of Kappa Alpha Theta, Beta Theta Pi and Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Adopting a Rolling Stones theme, they played out a skit where they had to win back the Rolling Stones' guitars in order for them to play at the halftime show at the Homecoming football game.
Next up, the Puerto Rican Latin American Cultural Center and BAILE celebrated the 60th anniversary of the Student Union by acting out a skit with Jennifer Lopez. Quoting Jim Calhoun and tying in UConn spirit, the dancer playing J. Lo said that "[her] UConn family believed in [her] first." The brothers and sisters of Delta Sigma, Phi Sigma Pi and Alima chose to represent 'NSync, dancing to songs like "It's Gonna Be Me" and "Bye Bye Bye."
Alpha Delta Phi, Alpha Epsilon Phi, Kickline and FIJI danced to classics by Michael Jackson, using glow sticks to "bring the party to the 860." After, the Asian American Cultural Center showed off their break dancing skills to Kanye West's "Gold Digger" and "Touch the Sky." Alpha Kappa Psi and Alpha Beta Epsilon performed to Queen songs, playing off the myth that UConn would lose the Homecoming game if they didn't find the right Homecoming Queen.
The brothers and sisters of Delta Zeta, Pi Kappa Alpha and Tau Kappa Epsilon donned Lady Gaga outfits including colorful leggings, face masks, and using camera props to songs like "Paparazzi" and "Poker Face." The African American Cultural Center mentioned a variety of places and events at UConn in their Destiny's Child skit, literally shaking the floor with their moves to songs with Caribbean twists. Following them, the UConn Irish took on ABBA songs and invited graduates to dance with them.
Alpha Phi, Phi Sigma Ro and Seta Beta Tau revolved their routine around the Beatles, focusing on messages of peace. Mixing dubstep and marching, the UConn Marching Band, Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma used flags and slow motion moves to impress the audience. Next, Global House warped back and forth through time with Elton John, including Lion King songs in their routine. Bouncing beach balls and surfing on waves, the houses of Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Epsilon Pi were inspired by the Beach Boys for their performance. While the Rainbow Center danced to popular Madonna songs, Biggie Smalls was the star for Sigma Ki, Kappa Kappa Gamma and Zeta Psi. Last but not least, Delta Gamma and Kappa Sigma used glow sticks and light-up gloves while performing to Black Eyed Peas songs.
After a short and impromptu "Gangnam Style" dance competition, the banners of Global House, the Asian American Cultural Center and Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Phi and Zeta Psi were displayed in front of the crowd as winner of the banner competition. The first, second and third-place winners received prizes for the categories of fee-funded organizations, non-fee funded organizations and Greek Life.