Coach Kevin Ollie competes for charity

By Sten Spinella

Coach Kevin Ollie is competing in the fourth annual Infiniti Coaches' Charity Challenge. The Infiniti Coaches' Charity Challenge is a competition between 48 of the top NCAA Division I men's basketball coaches to win $100,000 for a designated charity of their choice. 

Coaches receive online votes in rounds to create a bracket style competition in order to advance in the challenge. Ollie moved past round one, which ended January 26 and is competing with 24 other coaches. Infiniti gives at least $1,000 to each coaches' charity, however the coach with the most votes after a month will win the grand prize. The winner will be chosen on March 16. 

Ollie's chosen charity is the Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center, a choice that was announced through the UConn website and in a flyer sent out via e-mail to UConn students. 

According to its website, the Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center, located in Farmington, Conn., "offers a complete range of world-class services, from innovative cancer prevention programs to today's most sophisticated treatments, including the region's only TomoTherapy radiation oncology system."

Through Twitter, Ollie has urged students and faculty to go online and help him win the contest. 

In order to vote for Ollie, or any coach involved in the challenge, it is necessary to have an ESPN.com account, but it is free and easy to sign up. Coach Ollie is currently attempting to move into the top sixteen.