'Workaholics' Adam DeVine gives phone interview to college newspapers nationwide

By Joe O'Leary
On January 21, 2013

• it's the dc logo

Slacker comedy "Workaholics" returned to Comedy Central's airwaves last week and continues airing new episodes Wednesdays at 10 p.m. through March. If that weren't enough, Anders, Blake and Adam have also been renewed for two more seasons, meaning the boys of TelAmeriCorp will be on the air through 2015. To promote the new season, Adam DeVine, who plays Adam Demamp on the show, dialed in for a national college paper phone interview last week.
Here is a transcript of the Q&A:
Gonzaga University: I enjoyed your small bit in "Pitch Perfect." What was it like working off a screenplay not written by you and your buddies, and are there more film roles in the future?
A: First of all, it was a medium sized part. It was pretty medium. It was awesome, dude, it was pretty cool. The script was actually really funny and that's why I did the movie. The movie turned out well and I was happy to be a part of it. And, it's really cool, the stress factor of doing our show is really intense 'cause if it sucks, everybody's like "You guys aren't funny! You guys created it and star in it and produced it and if it's not funny it's on you! Loose butthole!" But "Pitch Perfect," if it sucked, it wasn't going to be on me, so I could concentrate on what's important to me.
Penn State: How do you feel about your catchphrases, like "loose butthole/tight butthole" and "let's get weird," circulating in the language of people across the nation?
A: It's cool, I just hope it doesn't become weird and cheesy like "Did I do that?," Urkel's catchphrase? Wait, what am I talking about, that's not weird or cheesy, that's kickass, I hope it becomes exactly like that. But it's cool. It's just all phrases that me and the guys all said together, and you know how your own group of friends have their own way of speaking and it's alien to people who don't know you? Well now everyone knows our inside catchphrases, which is pretty cool.
UConn: You guys just got greenlighted for fourth and fifth seasons. How does it feel to go from being an underdog to one of Comedy Central's flagship comedies?
A: It's incredible. It was exactly like how I wanted things to go, which in real life never happen the way you want them to go. But, in this case, it was right place right time, it was the show Comedy Central was looking for at the time. I feel crazy lucky and pretty tight butthole about the whole thing. But it's surreal. It's cool to have strangers on the street to know who I am, and chicks know me, and it's cool when I go out to bars; people will be like "I'll buy you a shot!" and I'll say "Buy me a beer and then a shot!" and they'll say "OK!" and then bars have become a very dangerous place for me.
University of Florida: I was wondering if you had any new catchphrases this season.
A: You're gonna have to watch, I'm not going to give away all of the gold. We're not trying to be like, "it's a catchphrase," we'll never know what's gonna catch on and it depends on what we said. We never come out and say "We're gonna create a new catchphrase," it's what our fans get from it.
LSU: Can you walk us through the typical process of making a Workaholics episode?
A: It's kind of boring. We just all take Jet-Skis, we drive out in the middle of the ocean, we have a treasure map, and we get to work that way. No, it's just us, and we're in the writer's room,and we'll try to figure out what we'd like to see on TV. We told stories, maybe ones we could take from our actual lives, and then you make an outline, send it to the network, they give it a thumbs-up, you come back and you do a one-sheet describing absolutely everything. And then you make a fully developed outline, with things happening in areas, then you write the episode. When you describe it that way it sounds boring, but it's an awesome job. I just sit around with my buddies all day and make dick jokes.
University of Georgia: Without giving too much away, are there any new personalities coming up in the new episodes? Jet Set is one of my favorite characters.
A: Well, Jet Set passed away, for those who don't know, on the last day of our filming. He didn't show up, we were pretty worried because he was always on time and he was a great dude. He has a huge role in this upcoming season. Everything that came out of his mouth was comedy gold. The office character, Bill, he plays a big part in this season. He gets wild in the first episode. We're giving our cast members more to do this season, which is great because we love 'em.
University of Cincinatti: Could you talk about how important Kyle is to the group? Some people don't know that he writes and directs episodes with you guys.
A: Kyle's a huge part of the process. Kyle, Blake and myself are roommates, we've been old roommates for like seven years. He directs a big majority of the season and we're glad to have him. If you look at the pace of the show, that's thanks to him. He's a really, really smart dude. Some people think it's almost like a reality show, but it's up to Kyle to make sure the show looks good on the relatively small budget we have instead of an MTV reality show.
University of Oregon: You guys did a lot of web series before getting picked up by Comedy Central. What was that like, to make little videos with your friends and go big like that?
A: It was rad. It's like we won the freakin' lottery. If you love doing stuff like that and you're good at that, keep doing it. We did 80 Internet videos before "Workaholics," and luckily someone noticed us and gave us the opportunity to do it.
Michigan State University: Why do you think college kids have taken such a liking to "Workaholics"?
A: I figure, just the premise of the show is so relatable for people in college. You're about to be a grown-up, and it's scary as s*** because grown-uphood sucks. You're like, "I wanna stay a kid, I wanna stay with my friends," like these are my best friends in my life, and that's what the characters on the show have done. They're in a state of arrested development where they're having the best times of their lives working a s****y job and hanging out with their best friends, which is what we all want to do to some extent until you're having a baby and things get real. So we're trying not to have babies on the show, or real life, for as long as possible.
UConn: If you had to describe the second half of the third season with Shaquille O'Neal in a certain part of his career, how would you describe it?
A: This might be Shaquille having just been traded to the Lakers and ready to win some championships. With his first seasons he was with the Magic, with Penny Hardaway getting nasty in the paint, but it's our time to start winning championships, aka Emmys, aka Golden Globes. Can you imagine if they gave us an Emmy or a Golden Globe? That'd be disastrous, I doubt they ever will.