Pro Side: Uncertain future surrounds skidding 76ers

By Scott Carroll

The Philadelphia 76ers might have just had the most impressive consecutive series of games in the history of basketball. Unfortunately, it's for all the wrong reasons.
The 76ers were beaten Sunday by the Los Angeles Clippers 123-78 and were beaten again Monday night by the Golden State Warriors 123-80. Philadelphia was beaten by a combined score of 88 points over the span of two games.
The team has truly taken the term "tanking" to a whole new level with their efforts in January and February. They are currently riding a seven-game losing streak, and have yet to win a single game in this early month. In January, the team went 6-11 with eye-opening losses to Atlanta by 26 and Minnesota by 31.
Perhaps the most shocking statistic over the course of their current seven-game losing streak is that they have given up over 100 points in each of the losses. This is true to form with the faltering 76ers as they rank dead last in NBA defense with a points against average of 110.5.
With a record of 15-38 and their current standing of second to last in the deplorable Eastern Conference, things could get even uglier for Philadelphia as they look to improve their draft stock.
Michael Carter-Williams could prove to be a budding star for the team as he has put up 17.1 points per game and 6.4 assists per game in his rookie year. The 76ers are also holding Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel on the sidelines for the remainder of the season. Many had Noel pegged as the No. 1 overall pick in the draft before his knee injury in college.
The 76ers could be one young piece away from contending in the Eastern Conference, but who knows if help is on the way in the draft. Andrew Wiggins, while having a solid year, hasn't lived up to all the hype surrounding his recruitment. Duke's Jabari Parker and Kansas' Joel Embiid have both suggested that they might not be coming out for the NBA Draft this year.
Philadelphia could find itself on the ugly side of tanking and with a player they could have done without. Hopefully the grass will be a little greener next year, with Kentucky shot blocker patrolling the paint.