A Campus In Style: Uggs only out of necessity

By Jamil Larkins
On October 12, 2012

Winters in Storrs are painful. Brutal winds ripping through campus and never-ending rainfall are common scenes in day-to-day life. Even fall at UConn can bring devastating weather, as we've seen most recently in these first few days of October. To properly combat the elements, we have already seen an influx of one of winter's biggest essentials around campus. Everyone has their opinions of this loved (and often hated) wintertime staple. Even more infamous than a North Face fleece, Uggs are back for the season. Unfortunately, whether you're a fan or not, Uggs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Personally, I can't stand Uggs for men or women. I think they're hideous and don't look good with anything you could wear. The brand makes plenty of other styles of boots and shoes, but the classic winter in the Nordic model seems to still dominate the market. However, practicality clearly takes priority over style when choosing fluffy footwear. Warmth and comfort are the two factors that most wearers point to when explaining their rationale behind the boots. In a climate like Storrs, I definitely understand. When the temperature drops into the single digits, what better way to keep warm than to wrap a stuffed animal around your foot? All jokes aside, I get the idea behind the boots, but warmth and comfort can both be found elsewhere. If you must wear your Uggs, there definitely are some rules to follow.
Uggs should stay consistent with whatever else you are wearing. Therefore, if it's not cold enough for scarves, gloves and down jackets, then it is not cold enough for Uggs. We have all seen the people wearing gym shorts and Uggs, and we have all made our own judgments. Once it starts snowing and the salt gets spread on the ground, Uggs are notorious for getting a hideous white ring around them. If that happens, you just have to bite the bullet and scrap them. Once the soles of the boots get worn down and start leaning to a side, that's a sign to that it's time to get new shoes as well. Uggs don't have great traction on the soles. Don't wear them in place of snow or rain boots, for your own safety. On ice, Uggs pose a serious threat to both your health and everyone else's well being around you.
Uggs should be a last resort. If it's freezing cold outside, then I understand your decision. But for the sake of fashion, there are plenty of other boots that can be worn in the winter to satisfy your warmth and comfort needs. If you actually enjoy the look of them, more power to you. I've always said that if you wear Uggs because they are warm and comfy in the winter, you'd wear Crocs because they are breathable and comfy in the summer. Think about that. Be different. But if you ever find yourself asking the question, "To Ugg or not to Ugg?", always choose the latter.