Gamings 'greatest' romances

By Alex Sferrazza

For better or worse, some of the best games of all time have included some type of a romantic subplot, sophisticated or otherwise. With Valentine's Day around the corner, here are a few of my favorites.
Sly Cooper and Carmelita Fox: The reverse of the timeless Batman-Catwoman relationship, the devilishly suave raccoon Sly Cooper and the feisty Carmelita Fox find themselves on opposite sides of the law: he's a thief while she's a cop. But that hasn't stopped the pair from enjoying one of the most entertaining forbidden romances in gaming, and apparently neither has Ms. Fox's ever changing voice and accent.
Master Chief and Cortana: Chief's "special" relationship with his A.I. companion Cortana has consistently provided the emotional backbone of the "Halo" series. A timeless love story of two beings whose emotional attachment to each other goes far beyond that which can be achieved by a physical relationship. The pair's long history together (she's literally been inside his head for years) made Cortana's sacrifice at the end of "Halo 4" stand as gaming's most emotional moment of 2012.
Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher: Ah, Nate and Elena, the PlayStation 3's power couple. Who could forget the lack of chemistry and touching moments or the vague plot details (I think they got married) that defined this "Uncharted" romance. Can you believe Nate dumped a much hotter girl with whom he clearly had a lot of history with for a passive aggressive wannabe reporter? Me neither.
Princess Zelda and Link: If there ever were a sign that two people were destined to be together, I'm pretty sure that being the only people in the world who are consistently reincarnated is it. While their relationship in the "The Legend of Zelda" series varies from the purely platonic ("Twilight Princess") to the more romantically implied ("Skyward Sword" and "Wind Waker"), these two remain as difficult to separate as the legendary Triforce itself.
Mario and Princess Peach: Gaming's longest running couple. After a few decades together the princess and the plumber have their relationship down to a science. Peach bakes Mario a cake and invites him over to share it. Sometimes he does, sometimes he has to rescue her from the evil clutches of Bowser first. Either way, after all these years of going through so much trouble one thing must be certain: Peach must make a pretty mean cake.
The Companion Cube and Chell: Oh how I do love thee, adorable generic grey companion cube with hearts painted on the side? Let me count the ways... Only a villain as sinister as the A.I. GlaDOS could fool you into believing that an inanimate block was both sentient, and had feelings. If you were able to drop it into the incinerator near the end of "Portal" without shedding a single tear, you have a heart of ice.
Elizabeth and Booker DeWitt: A romance played out entirely in the minds of gamers everywhere, "Bioshock Infinite" presented one of the most likable companion characters in video game history in the form of Elizabeth. This charming and attractive young women immediately won the hearts of players everywhere an attachment that only grew as the game went on. But near the end of the game, the bombshell announcement that she is your long lost daughter. Just let that sink in for a minute.