UConn 'loses its mind'

By Loumarie Rodriguez

• All-American Tamara Highsmith competes in the high-jump at the Husky Select Invitational. Adam Bickford

The Winter White Tour went out in a bang this weekend at UConn as Alesso took the stage at Jorgensen and shook the campus with his loud deep bass beats. 

The theatre was packed with students all dressed in white representing the winter white out, dancing in one large pack as each DJ threw down various beats, dubstep, and waves of constant electronica. Personal space was not an option with students packed in close to one another attempting to get closer to the stage in the rave-like atmosphere all the while yetis danced in the crowd. 

Students were already jumping up and down attempting to dance to the beats of UConn's DJ Manni who played an hour in a half set, followed by Otto Knows. Once Alesso hit the stage, students packed in closer and grew wilder as they jammed out to his music. 

The music rocked Jorgensen and literally shook the floor as students went crazy each time the music built up and the beat dropped. All the DJ's were well equipped with intense fog machines and over the top light displays, however Alesso took a step further with powerful laser lights mixed in with fog that gave the show a cooling effect for the audience. Rainbow colors of laser lights lit up Jorgensen as on stage dancers threw water into the audience and occasionally had a cool down when the fog machines went off. 

As the epic conclusion of the night was nearing, confetti began to rain down on students who danced out on the floor and large lighted beach balls were tossed around in the mob of an audience. Students screamed out lyrics to Alesso's songs every time he played a familiar beat and continue to go crazy as Alesso continuously built up the audience's anticipation of dropping a beat. Sometimes Alesso fooled the audience by building up but only to slow it down as he changed the beat around but then suddenly drop new sounds of electronica and dubstep. 

SUBOG concerts and NV Concepts presented the all white theme concert allowing students to rave at Jorgensen. Students raved for about four hours since the winter concert started at 8 p.m. and ended a little after 12 leaving many people wiped out.

"I thought it was a great experience hanging out with friends and partying all night long," said Daryl Phin 8th-semester sociology major. "It was four plus hours so it was intense." 

"I thought it was awesome he played all my favorite songs," said Christal Nworjih 6th-semester biology major. "I definitely lost my mind. It was amazing."  

There was also apparel being sold in the lobby of Jorgensen representing the Winter White Tour brand. SUBOG will announce the spring concert performer in the near future.