Huskies swept by Friars on Skating Strides weekend

By Joe Crisalli

The UConn women's ice hockey team dropped two consecutive games, 5-0 and 4-3 in overtime, to Providence this past weekend.
The Huskies played their first game against Providence on home ice at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum and then traveled to Providence to play their second game of the weekend.
The 5-0 shutout loss this past Friday took place in the Huskies annual Skating Strides game. UConn wore pink sweaters to promote breast cancer research and also sold pink jerseys to fundraise for the Friends of Mel Foundation.
"The biggest thing that we've done is the clinic that we do on Martin Luther King Jr. day," head coach Heather Linstad said. "We got about 125-130 kids, and they get two ice sessions on the ice and they get an off ice session at Shenkman, running around on the turf."
UConn raised $15,000 for the foundation this year, and have raised roughly $65,000 since the Skating Strides program began in 2005.
"All the money that we raise there, we charge $30 for the day, and the parents love it for the amount of opportunity that they have with the student athletes," Linstad said.
The Friars got ahead quick on the Huskies as they netted three goals in the first period in their 5-0 win in the first game on Friday.
UConn was unable to answer throughout the contest, as Providence was able to take advantage of two more scoring chances.
"We didn't capitalize on the scoring opportunities that we had, and when they had a scoring opportunity they put it in the net," Linstad said. "Every time they had an opportunity to put the puck away, they did."
The Huskies also had trouble keeping themselves out of the penalty box on the weekend as they were penalized for 20 minutes in the two games, with five penalties in each game.
Sophomores Rachel Farrel, Kayla Campero, and Sarah MacDonnell netted the three goals for UConn on the weekend; all in the 4-3 OT loss this past Saturday. They also each added an assist in the game.
"We want to establish a fanbase, we have to get back to winning," Linstad said.
UConn will face Northeastern on Feb. 9th on home ice at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum in their next contest.