New app, new way to help charities

By Jamie Dinar

Do you ever wish you could do a little more, like trying to get your name out there or helping contribute to better your society? What if I told you that you can do all that during your morning exercise? This is easily made possible with the new app, "Charity Miles."

"Charity Miles" is a free vehicle used to promote specific charities while simultaneously raising money for them in a fun and unique way. On top of that, it is downloadable on any iPhone or Android device. After the initial download, merely choose a charity then start your daily exercise routine. 

"Charity Miles" measures your distance and will give money accordingly-for every mile biked it will donate 10 cents, and it will donate 25 cents for every mile walked or ran. The app takes its money from a corporate sponsored pool of $1,000,000, and as the user base continues to grows, so will the financial pool. In addition, so will the eclectic selection of charities!

Users can support any charity, varying from Autism Speaks to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research to Feeding America to Wounded Warrier Project to the Nature Conservancy Organization. While running, your phone's screen will show your mileage, time and the estimated impact you are making with your run, which helps put your achievements in perspective. For example, Nature Conservancy's charity screen could show you how many breaths of fresh air you are saving. 

When you are finished with each round of working out, you are required to post your triumphs online via Facebook, aimed to promote the charity you worked for. However, many find this a bad feature because they don't want that information on their private profile, regardless of the help and buzz it could be creating.

In addition, another downside of the app is that it uses your phone's GPS system, which works your phone to the point where the battery drains too quickly. 

But despite the app's few downfalls, I'd like to think they are worth putting up with for the good cause they are serving. If you are ever interested in adding a beneficial twist to your daily workout, "Charity Miles" is highly recommended. If you think running makes you feel good, imagine how much better you will feel knowing you made a difference with each mile.

For more information on "Charity Miles", visit http://www.charitymiles.org.