BREAKING: Bruce Marshall resigns as UConn men's hockey coach
UConn men's ice hockey head coach Bruce Marshall, the program's all-time winningest coach, announced his resignation on Monday after spending the last two months on medical leave.
Assistant Coach David Berard will continue in his role as interim head coach until the end of the season.
"During my time away from the program, I determined that this decision was in the best interest for myself, my family and the UConn men's ice hockey team," said Marshall, who went on medical leave on Nov. 6. "I am extremely proud of the accomplishments of the program during my time as a Husky and I wish nothing but success for the team as it continues to make the exciting transition to Hockey East for the 2014-15 season."
Marshall, who had been UConn's head coach since 1988, is a 1985 graduate of UConn and was a co-captain on the 1984-85 team that made the ECAC playoffs for the first time in school history.
Prior to his resignation, Marshall ranked 12th among active coaches in career wins with 337. In 2000, he led the Huskies to the MAAC championship, the program's only conference championship title to date.
Marshall saw the program through several conference changes, and even the move to Division I in 1998. He played a key role in securing UConn's future last summer, when Hockey East announced that it had accepted UConn as a new member for the 2014-15 season.
UConn says that it will begin a national search for a head coach at the conclusion of the 2012-13 season. Whether Berard is being considered for the position or not is unknown.
The Huskies are 7-4-1 since Berard took over.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer