Spotlight: International Tabletop Day

By Darragh McNicholl

• Pictured above. “Small World,” a game where the goal is to accumulate points by amassing territory.

Tabletop games are often the most forgotten options for curing boredom. International TableTop Day aims to remind everyone of the fun tabletop games can bring. In 2013 Geek and Sundry, a youtube channel themed everything geeky, started a new international experience that involved people spending all day playing tabletop games. Wil Wheaton the host for "TableTop," a Geek and Sundry series, along with Felicia Day, one of the Geek and Sundry founders, continued to celebrate tabletop games this year on April 5th. Two years and well over a thousand events later, International TableTop Day is beginning to look like an annual holiday.
For those not familiar with the term tabletop games, it is a title for the compilation of games that require you to play in person with physical pieces. Board games, card games, role-playing games, miniature games, anything that requires a flat surface and some friends to play with is a tabletop game. These types of games are often equated to kid's games, which is why most people overlook them as a way to cure boredom. Of course this is not really the case and partially the reason International TableTop Day exist.
As kids we played "Sorry," "The Game of Life," "Snakes and Ladders," and a number of other games that were overtly simple to play. Sure there was "Monopoly" and even "Clue," but most of these games don't offer much to the adult mind other than a sense of nostalgia. Tabletop games are noticeably different now as for every simple game we played as children there are two significantly more complicated and interesting games. Not that games like "Trouble" and "Candyland" are any less important, in fact International TableTop Day celebrates these games as well, but the games we played as kids are not the only ones out there worth celebrating.
Board games in particular have grown over the years and anyone can find a genre to enjoy. There are conquest games like "Risk Legacy" and "Settlers of Catan." Zombie games like "Zombies!!!" and "City of Horror." Mystery games where you're the murderer, horror games where one of you is the monster, racing games, adventure games and even farming games exist. If you're not into card games that require collecting there is "Apples to Apples," "Cards Against Humanity" and "Munchkin." Not every role-playing game is as extensive as "Dungeons and Dragons;" check out "Fiasco" or "Werewolf." There are hundreds of games and practically all of them are worth playing at least once.
International TableTop Day may have come and gone, but you don't have to wait a whole year to get into the tabletop game scene. Go to your nearest gaming store and see if they offer any board games, dig up your old Magic cards, ask some friends to play a Dungeons and Dragons adventure. Look around and try out some games that seem interesting; you just might gain a fun, new hobby.