Focus favorites: board games

By Focus Staff

In honor of the recently passed International Tabletop Day, some Focus staff weigh in on their favorite board games.
"Carrom" is kind of like playing pool, but with your hands. The board is usually a 29-inch square with pockets in each corner and the objective is to get as many scoring pieces as possible into those pockets by only flicking one white piece.
As a kid, "Clue" was by far my favorite board game. There was and is a certain thrill about solving a murder mystery, even if it turns out you were the one to commit the crime. "Clue" also spawned the so-bad-it's-good film so frankly, I have nothing but praise for this game.
My favorite board game has to be "Dominion," a game that's based on building a deck and then using that deck to get more cards and purchase points that lead to victory. It requires a lot of strategic thinking, but is also fast-paced--very suitable for college students who don't have a lot of time but are still looking for entertainment.
The game of "Diplomacy" is the ultimate game of deception. Liars, backstabbers, tricksters and manipulators call this game home. Your mission? Play as one of several European countries on a map of WWI Europe and attempt to conquer the board. Treaties, deals and alliance coordination are the keys to victory; just try not to destroy too many friendships along the way.