Huskies to face Blue Demons in women's basketball
The UConn women's basketball team will look to continue their winning ways when they face DePaul this Sunday at Gampel Pavilion.
The Huskies (21-1, 8-1 Big East) are coming off a dominating 94-37 victory over Marquette. UConn drained 15 three-pointers on the night including five from sophomore forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.
"We've been working on her getting in the post and coming out, she's so versatile," senior guard Caroline Doty said. "She can score anyway she wants to which is huge."
As a team, the Huskies shot 54.7 percent from the field compared to the Golden Eagles who only shot 25 percent from the field for the entire game.
In addition to Mosqueda-Lewis, UConn has been backed this year by solid performances from center Stefanie Dolson, who scored 15 points in the Huskies' last game against Marquette. Dolson averages 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game this season. Junior guard Bria Hartley is also looking to follow up on a solid performance against Marquette - during which she scored 20 points and shot 5-7 from three-point range.
UConn's bench has been playing well this season. Against Marquette, the Huskies' bench scored 14 points. Ten of those points came form freshman center Breanna Stewart.
DePaul is also coming off an impressive 74-48 win over Seton Hall. The win improved the Blue Demons to a 6-3 record in Big East play and improved their overall record to 17-6. In the game against the Pirates, junior forward Jasmine Penny scored a career-high 29 points. Penny has averaged 14.5 points in the 23 games she has played in.
The Blue Demons' offense is powered by their leading scorer, sophomore guard Brittany Hrynko. Hrynko is averaging 16.2 points per game this season.
DePaul is 2-4 on the road this season, and only has one Big East victory on the road this year.
Tip-off between UConn and DePaul is scheduled for Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at Gampel Pavilion and the game will be televised live on ESPNU.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?