Huskies head to Lafayette Rider Winter Games
The UConn men's track and field team travels to the Armory in New York on Friday to compete in the Lafayette Rider Winter Games. This is the Huskies' last regular season meet before Big East Championships begin.
Led by junior Darnell Cummings, UConn finished in second place at last weekend's Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup, losing only to the No. 13 team in the nation, Penn State. With the second place finish, the Huskies bested Cornell University by 11 points in the Challenge Cup but still find themselves ranked No. 2 in the Northeast region, squarely behind the Big Red. UConn is not likely to catch Cornell before the Big East Championships, as they look at the Lafayette Rider Winter Games as a chance to tune their skills, rather than make a statement.
"Most of our track kids will race down [compete in shorter events] to work on their speed this weekend," head coach Gregory Roy said. "Sharpening our technique and freshening up are the order of the day in the field events."
It is in those field events that the Huskies have shown the most consistency. Junior pole vaulter Cory Duggan has yet to finish outside the top three in any meet this season, including a second place finish at last weekend's Challenge Cup. Sophomore Amanze Williams impressed in the triple jump for the second week in a row, finishing fourth with a hop, skip and jump of 14.91 meters. In addition, Josh Faboyede finished fourth in the weight throw, setting a new personal record with a fling of 19.44 meters. Faboyede was just one of 12 Huskies to set new personal bests at the meet.
Events are slated to begin at 1 p.m. on Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest