UConn club hockey to travel to New York and Boston for a pair of games

By Jack Mitchell

The UConn men's club hockey team has two upcoming games this weekend, one against Boston College and another against NYU. The Huskies, who are in the thick of the postseason tournament hunt, are currently ranked sixth in the Northeast region of the ACHA's Division II.
"We have played Boston College before earlier in the year," head coach Chris Myers said. "They and NYU are both good teams who are ranked inside the top 10 [in our region], so they are games we need to win. Saturday will be our first game against NYU [this season]. They are ranked eighth, so it will be another good test that will give us an idea of what we will see in the regional tournament."
In order to earn an automatic bid to the national tournament, which takes place in March, the Huskies would have to be ranked in the top two teams in their region, a goal that, at this point in the year, may prove unrealistic. However, Myers' squad is all but assured a Regional playoff berth, as teams ranked third through tenth in each region earn a trip to that tournament.
"For us to go to nationals, we will have to win two games at the Regionals. It is definitely going to be a challenge to get to the nationals, however I feel if we finish on a roll we can carry that momentum with us," Myers said. "This weekend will be a big test, because [Boston College and NYU] are teams we could see in the [regional] tournament."
If UConn does indeed qualify for the regional tournament, then their hopes for making a trip to Nationals would not be completely dashed. As long as the Huskies win two consecutive games at the regional tournament, then they have a very good chance at earning a play-in bid to nationals.
The Huskies enter the weekend on the heels of a solid two-win effort last week, consisting of a 5-2 win over Central Connecticut and a 6-2 thrashing of Providence College. The victories pushed UConn's record to 19-6 on the year.
"All the boys played well. Miles Winter, Paul Cinquegrana and Rui Encarnacao each had great weekends pointwise," Myers said. "I was also happy with the play of Pete O'Conner and Brendan Cummings, who each had a big game for us on Friday night."
The puck for the Boston College game drops tonight at 7:45 p.m. in Boston, while tomorrow night's matchup will get underway at 8:30 p.m. in New York City.