Column: Beckham brings glitz, glam to Major League Soccer

By Robert Moore

What can David Beckham bring to Major League Soccer?
It appears that before we know it, David Beckham will be running a soccer franchise in Florida. As Major League Soccer and Beckham have formed an agreement to set up shop in the ever-so diverse community of Miami, the allure factor is at an all-time high.
Toronto FC have corralled Jermain Defoe, Gilberto, Julio Cesar and Michael Bradley to the mix - and that is in cold weather. Now imagine the dashing beaches, the beautiful women and weather fit for a king. Throw Beckham in the mix and the entirety of Major League Soccer has seen its stock skyrocket.
Granted the Golden Boys, Miami Vice or whatever Beckham decides to name the club is still years in the making, signal of intent that the MLS is no longer the laughing stock in the soccer-sphere is readily apparent. And while quite a few world class players like Thierry Henry or Robbie Keane have made way to the United States in the latter stages of their careers, it would appear Beck's could drag a few over to Miami at an earlier age.
The man who featured so prominently in "The Class of 92" at Manchester United has connections throughout the world. From his youth career to his time in Spain, England, France and the United States - Beckham has the "it" factor - whatever "it" is. Call it his looks, which make women crumble, or his ability to captivate nearly every person when he speaks, David Beckham chose the United States to set up shop...for the time being.
As the high-profile former superstar prepares the final details in Miami, I'd imagine there'd be no short of applicants for this club. It would not be hard to imagine Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and even Cristiano Ronaldo making way for the United States. The Los Angeles Galaxy courted Lampard for quite awhile and I'd imagine the Englishman would be more than willing to take a boat across the sea at one point or another. Drogba enjoys much of his time-off in Miami as well.
Place a player of Mario Balotelli's caliber in Miami. The flashing lights, the fancy cars, the women and the caviar? While I may have just took my comparison into the depths of Ludacris and Bobby V's "Pimping All Over The World" I would not put it past a player like Balotelli to relish MLS. And that is no dig at the former Manchester City man. Balotelli is quite the player and his recent wonder-goal against Bologna in the AC Milan kit was absolutely stunning, but he needs more.
Miami would be an ideal fit for the high-profile players, playing under a high profile owner in David Beckham. Roll out the red carpet on this endeavor and the possibilities are endless. And while it may seem as if I've taken to Beckham's ambition to create a club in Miami heed my warning - Beckham is a footballer who loves to win. He will scour the globe for the top professionals and young talents to complete the squad. Whichever manager he appoints will surely have his say with Beckham taking an owner role, but this will not stop him. Just as Sir Alex Ferguson may have originally pulled a few strings in the first months under David Moyes, Beck's will be upstairs in the owners boxes sipping on fine-aged wine and enjoying his masterpiece.
Beckham is the Picasso of world soccer. He has made some of the best passes the world has ever seen and gathered league titles in nearly every major league in the world. In the end, David Beckham knows what he is doing. The golden man with the worlds most popular face understands how to brand a club, as he has shown quite well during his illustrious playing days.
And as the aqua and pink kits are about to storm the Miami-Dade County area between now and 2020, David Beckham's vision will remain constant: bring the best quality of soccer possible to Miami and to the MLS as a whole.