Men's swimming and diving: Huskies finish third at American Championships

By Eugene Joh

The UConn men's swimming and diving team took third place this past weekend in the American Athletic Conference Championships in Louisville, Ky., finishing behind home team Louisville and Southern Methodist University.
Competing in their home pool at Ralph R. Wright Natatorium, Louisville dominated the swimming events, winning 14 of 16 to become the first-ever AAC Champions. Louisville finished with 985.2 performance points, followed by SMU with 944.4, UCONN with 929.0 and Cincinnati with 908.6.
The two swimming events that didn't go to the home team both went to swimmers from UConn. Junior Sawyer Franz took the 400-yard individual medley crown, finishing the event in 3:47.88. Franz was able to cut almost 12 seconds from his time in the preliminaries to take the win in the final heat.
Freshman Chris Girg posted UConn's other first-place finish at the meet, winning the 500-yard freestyle event in 4:19.24. Louisville's Trevor Carroll finished just behind Girg, clocking in at 4:19.52.
The Huskies' 800-yard freestyle relay team which featured Girg, along with junior Felix Samuels and seniors Keith Piper and Sean Battle, was able to take home second place. The relay team finished the event in 6:33.73, behind Louisville's time of 6:19.25.
The diving events were mostly dominated by SMU. SMU junior Devin Burnett finished the championships with a win in all three diving events contested, including the 1, 2, and 3-meter dives. UConn sophomore John Brice managed two fourth-place finishes in the 1 and 3-meter dives; the top three in each of those events were occupied by SMU.
The Huskies next take to the pool for the NCAA Zone Diving Championships on March 14-15.